Logo

1973 Johnson 115 Outboard - Power Tilt Replace / Repair Options

SCFordMan

Hi,
I have a 1973 Johnson 115 outboard with what looks like the original power tilt unit. The unit is in very poor condition, with both the shock and the hydraulic cylinder rod heads rusted (actually non-existent) and the power ram rod is bent. It looks like nearly totally worthless to me.

I see that these power tilt units are fairly expensive to purchase used. But I have seen some power tilt units from later models, in the '80s and '90s, which look very to be similar designs at reasonable prices.

Question: does anyone know whether I could attach my existing powerhead (and perhaps lower unit?) to a late-model power tilt unit? (Perhaps onto the steering arm assembly)

Rob

See if the gasket between the block and the exhaust housing is the same on 1980's models as your 1973 model.----I think it is not.-----After market trim / tilt system is your best option.

Ok, that's a great idea. Might you help me clarify which gasket exactly? I have pics of what I think you're referencing. Both of the pics below reference number 18, which is: 318373 — GASKET, ADAPTER TO POWERHEAD

and

321727 — GASKET, ADAPTER TO POWERHEAD

they look different and diff part numbers. Is this the gasket you're thinking of?

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.19.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.18.55 PM.jpg

I had a '75, 115 and had TNT issues and installed a CMC. It worked well except reverse as there was no mechanism to lock the engine to the CMC. The TNT factory TNT had been removed.

Thanks all for your input, when I look closely at the midsection, it does look like a different mount point at the bottom as well.

Back