Logo

chrysler 360

It looks like 4417599 according to this Marine Parts Express list. There may be other suppliers but this is the one that I found.
Parts list.jpg
You may want to call them and indicate what transmission you have as it might mater.

Thanks . I have someone telling me there is a different wheel for rhr vs lhr but im having a hard time believing that

I can't tell you for certain re; the Chrysler engines.
Perhaps there is some type of rotational and index proprietary balancing (for RH and LH rotation) that the flywheel provides.... not sure, but I think it's doubtful.

I can tell you that with the SBC and BBC, there is no difference in the flywheels.

Last edited:
Dang.... I can't edit my previous post!

If you go with an automotive engine flywheel, it can't help be for a std LH rotation engine.

If you are building a REV RH Rotation engine, keep in mind that;
...... the piston wrist pin offset must be reversed.
...... front and rear crankshaft seals are proprietary for a RH engine.
...... the Chrysler distributor requires a spacer of sorts.

Good luck with it.

Rick,
Is it possible to use a auto flywheel ? I have asked someone and they said no.
I did see a 318 flywheel on ebay and a thread here that said they drilled holes somehow to correct the balance.

Last edited:
The “someone“ who you asked, may be thinking of the flywheel/flex plate that drives an automatic transmission torque converter.

if you use an automotive flywheel, it needs to be for a standard transmission.

Yes excatly. Im sure i would need to replace the ring gear but it may come down to giving it a try

Again, I'm not a Chrysler Marine expert. However, I would highly doubt that there is a difference in the flywheel ring gear between Auto and Marine use.

But let's say that you find one that has a worn ring gear and you want to replace it.

Make sure that the person doing it;
...... uses a flywheel turn table.
...... does not heat the new ring gear
red hot. (red hot will change the tempering of the steel)
...... heats the ring gear very evenly as it is being turned on the turn table.
...... uses only a brass or aluminum punch or hammer when driving against it.

Thought i would post this for future reference..
This is for chrysler 318 and 340 to a chrysler 360.
Note :there a a couple years of 340's that are exrenaly balanced so be sure it is nueraly balanced before doing this.

If you have an internal (or neutral) balance flywheel, you can also drill it to
make it an external balance flywheel, like so...

Attachments

• 340castbalance.jpg
    340castbalance.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I don't have a 360, I have 318s so take this for what it's worth.
Everything that I have read indicates that the 360 flywheel is externally balanced and different than the 318 and 340 flywheels.
The Magnum engine flywheels on the 360s are not the same as the standard flywheel.
If 360 flywheels are externally balanced I would think the orientation has to remain the same as it was originally, so if the flywheel is removed you need to mark the flywheel and a bolt hole to allow it to be put back onto the engine exactly in the same orientation as it was or the balancing will be incorrect.
I have also read that if your flywheel has a ring gear there could be a part number stamped into the ring gear.
Best of luck on the repair.

I don't have a 360, I have 318s so take this for what it's worth.
Everything that I have read indicates that the 360 flywheel is externally balanced and different than the 318 and 340 flywheels.
The Magnum engine flywheels on the 360s are not the same as the standard flywheel.
If 360 flywheels are externally balanced I would think the orientation has to remain the same as it was originally, so if the flywheel is removed you need to mark the flywheel and a bolt hole to allow it to be put back onto the engine exactly in the same orientation as it was or the balancing will be incorrect.
Some flywheels/crankshafts incorporate a locating dowel pin that ensures correct indexing, whereas some incorporate a non-symmetrical bolt pattern that ensures correct indexing.
Quite frankly, I don't recall what Chrysler did on these.

I have also read that if your flywheel has a ring gear there could be a part number stamped into the ring gear.
Best of luck on the repair.

Examples only

flywheel indexing.jpg

Post #15 shows a diagram for balancing a neutral flywheel for use with a cast 340 crankshaft, not a cast 360 crankshaft.

It looks like Chrysler uses a non symmetrical bolt pattern on the 318 engine flywheels as seen here.
Flywheel (2)a.jpg
That still leaves the concern if the entire flywheel was changed. It would cancel the original engine balancing unless the new flywheel had exactly the same balancing weights installed. Changing just the ring gear might be the safer bet, unless you have a machine shop that can rebalance the engine after replacing the flywheel.

FWIW, in the automotive arena, the common flywheels had 130, 143, and 172 teeth. The 130 tooth is a 10-1/2" and 11" scalloped plate. The 143 tooth is an 11" as well as the 172 tooth "Hemi" plate.

The amount of imbalance added to a neutral balance plate for a 360 …..
IMGP1486.jpg

The crank flange BC (less the Hemi)...……..
IMGP1487.jpg

Back