Logo

Exhaust riser gasket

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
E931B017-2DB1-451B-BFEF-3A0B315FBF09.jpegC6B85151-793E-445B-89A4-60E80D91729E.jpeg

Does this look right? I pulled the riser and cleaned it up a bit and this is the gasket I was given to replace the old one. The old one looked exactly the same but the gaskets middle holes do nothing and the risers upper and lower most holes are blocked by the gasket. The shop that gave me the gasket is the one who replaced the risers a few years ago so they put that last gasket in. The original Volvo engine was replaced with a Kodiac marine one years ago if that matters. Original 290 sp outdrive. Any thoughts?
Robert

Pic of the "riser" ( more likely elbow) mating surface please. Are the center holes on the sides of the gasket on the manofpld blocked by rust or are they cast that way?

Ha. Yes. That’s the elbow. And no. Those aren’t blocked by rust they are cast that way. It looks that way because the gasket has a hole in it right there. The gasket does block the other two holes though.

With all seawater transfer ports open, that appears to be the correct gasket for that particular elbow.

Last edited:
The gasket does keep the two ports on each side open but what about the top and bottom port? Is it ok for those to be blocked by the gasket? If so what are those ports for and why block them?
Robert

The gasket does keep the two ports on each side open but what about the top and bottom port?
By top and bottom, I believe that you are referring the front and rear seawater transfer ports.......... correct?

Is it ok for those to be blocked by the gasket? If so what are those ports for and why block them?
The gaskets that you show do not block these front and rear seawater transfer ports. They simply restrict seawater at these two areas, yet they allow the elbow to fully drain when winterizing.

AQ series style exhaust elbow.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, front and back. I was referring to top and bottom of the photo. I want to make sure I understand you correctly. The photo you referenced doesn’t have the gasket. The gasket is in my other photo. It blocks those front and back ports. Is that the way it was designed? The middle side holes on the gasket don’t align with any port on the manifold/riser. Is that because this gasket fits a few different configurations? I just want to make sure I have the right gasket because the exhaust hose on that side is getting much hotter than the other side.

Another question. The manifold and risers were replaced about 2 years ago. One of the exhaust hoses blew from overheating and when I took things apart a few of the ports were partially clogged. All of our boating is done in the ocean but we run fresh water through the engine with ear muffs at the end of every trip for 10 to 15 minutes. Is there a better way to get salt water out of the cooling system?

Yes, front and back. I was referring to top and bottom of the photo.
I always try to think and speak in terms of Port and Stbd or FWD and AFT when talking parts, and how the part rests in the boat/engine.
Makes is easier and eliminates miscommunication.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly. The photo you referenced doesn’t have the gasket. The gasket is in my other photo.
Understood.

It blocks those front and back ports.
I see weep holes in the gasket that you showed. (see below)
The weep holes do not block the seawater... they simply restrict it.

Is that the way it was designed? The middle side holes on the gasket don’t align with any port on the manifold/riser. Is that because this gasket fits a few different configurations?
It's the wrong gasket then. Perhaps the sales person was confused between OMC and AQ series Volvo Penta.

I just want to make sure I have the right gasket because the exhaust hose on that side is getting much hotter than the other side.
You have what appears to be an AQ series GM V-6 or V-8 exhaust system elbow.
This was used on the AQ series up to 1996.
This is NOT OMC.... it is all Volvo Penta.

Another question. The manifold and risers were replaced about 2 years ago.
Again, the AQ series exhaust system was was not offered with Spacers/Risers.
The down angle of the elbow and the connection to the Y-pipe will not allow the use of a Spacer/Riser.

Also, this series was never offered with a Full Closed Cooling system that would require a Spacer/Riser.

One of the exhaust hoses blew from overheating and when I took things apart a few of the ports were partially clogged. All of our boating is done in the ocean but we run fresh water through the engine with ear muffs at the end of every trip for 10 to 15 minutes. Is there a better way to get salt water out of the cooling system?
Run it in a river or lake for 10 minutes or so........ or, simply keep doing what you are doing!

I believe that the gasket will be p/n 857618
Please verify!

AQ series style exhaust elbow.jpg

The gasket is made that way to separate the two side passages and also gives it more stability. Enlarging the two small holes would not hurt.

Back