Logo

Yamaha 150 1988 Head Gaskets

Todd H.

It appears there is some small amount of "weepage" of water, as evidenced by some "water" stains, from head gaskets to the outside of the engine block. When I look at this after a long WOT run, I do not see evidence of water coming out, just some very small amount dampness on the edge of the gasket in some places. I will try and post some pictures.
stbd head gasket.JPGport head gasket.JPG

The engine runs perfectly, 115 psi +/-2 on all 6 cylinders, nothing funny looking about any of the plugs when I remove them/ all plugs look similar. It is a 1988, 150 HP with ~1,000 hrs or less and 99% in freshwater. It did overheat at idle a few times for a very short periods of time (minutes or less) when impeller was worn. I am guessing this "weepage" is going on internally as well. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this and whether or not I should just go ahead and replace the head gaskets. Does not appear to be too difficult of a job, not snapping the bolts and getting the surfaces cleaned up good sound like the watchouts along with verifying head is not warped.

Thanks,

The heads are warped ! ----Guaranteed.------They all warp with time.-----It is the nature of aluminum castings used in outboard motors.

The heads are warped ! ----Guaranteed.------They all warp with time.-----It is the nature of aluminum castings used in outboard motors.

So, if they are warped, it will not do any good to just replace the head gaskets. I am guessing the heads can be milled, how much can you take off of them? I could just let it be since it is not causing any issues...?

Just change the gaskets.
Then if the water seeps?? apply some sealer on just the edges.
Then get a straight edge and check the gaps before you reinstall.

From the pics, they look pretty good.
No salt water.

Took off the heads, cleaned all the old gasket material off, used a straight edge at about 20 different orientations on each head and could not fit a 0.0015" feeler anywhere. Spec is 0.0039", guess I just got lucky but it is definitely not warped. I guess it was just age (31 yrs) and heating and cooling cycles. Now I have to clean up the block and check it but I doubt it is warped.

Back