Logo

Any ideas from pros what this engine is?

vroomZOOM

Regular Contributor
Yeah, I know, it looks like crap, but what engine is this? I know that it is a vdrive or an inboard, but whats the difference between those two? (im a sterndrive guy). year is 1997 on those engines. What is the hp of those engines, are they carb, or efi?

6173cece-6c6b-4f64-9a72-e9d4149b68e3.jpg

Big block Chevys look carbed hooked up to V drives. In a v drive what is normally the front of engine faces backwards, there is a drive unit that when viewed from the side looks like a v on its side, prop shaft is below engines. An I. Board engine faces other way and us angled down in line with propshaft . Flame arrestir cover says 7.4 L (454 cid), probably 310-340 hp. Engine numbers on flame arrestor cover will lead you to more detail.

google vdrive for more info

I hope you aren't considering buying a boat with V drives. They have a huge design flaw that can make your life absolutely miserable if not way shorter than you hoped.

a 97 7.4L MIE was rated @ 310 HP....it should be a GEN VI block.

to clarify, an Inboard typically has a fixed prop shaft....and from here you get into subdivisions based on the gear(s) configurations used to connect the engine to the shaft. Many V-drives use an in-line gear to provide a reverse function as well as overall gear reduction.....

Vee drives are a double P in the A. Not only is there additional gearing to wear out, messing with the shaft alignment and stuffing box (with all that crap below the motor) is a P in the A.

There: Said it twice!

Jeff

What? Hmm... haven't heard of that, but I would like to know what happens to them.
You haven't shared why you are asking about these engines , looking at buying the boat, only the engines for a repower? Personally I have no experince with v drives only IO so I can't comment just curious

Dony know why people think v drives are bad.On my 4th boat and the previous 3 had merc IO and I dont think I would ever go back to IO.Maybe I should start another thread.

Outdrives can't be a P in the A as well! No question about that. They're far easier to work on, however.

Jeff

PS: Gotta hand it to Carl Kiekaefer. Decades ago, when shown the first Mercruiser stern drive, he scoffed at the idea, saying "Take a V-8, turn it on end, and put on an outboard tower and you'll have a much better idea." When I read that in 'Iron Fist' years ago, I thought he was a closed minded, stubborn old jerk, but he was spot on! Take a look at the super powerful OBs being sold today (and note how few inboard/ outdrive setups you see in the latest boat shows). Big OBs are the coming thing in large boats--and I'm talking 30 to 40 footers and more. And why not? Not only are they a LOT easier to work on (and, hence, cheaper), they take up damn little hull space and are super quiet. So Carl was right all along.

a 97 7.4L MIE was rated @ 310 HP....it should be a GEN VI block.

to clarify, an Inboard typically has a fixed prop shaft....and from here you get into subdivisions based on the gear(s) configurations used to connect the engine to the shaft. Many V-drives use an in-line gear to provide a reverse function as well as overall gear reduction.....

Thank you!

You haven't shared why you are asking about these engines , looking at buying the boat, only the engines for a repower? Personally I have no experince with v drives only IO so I can't comment just curious

Well... I was researching about a boat I was interested in, but there was no model number, so I was trying to figure out the model from the engine specs...

Well... I was researching about a boat I was interested in, but there was no model number, so I was trying to figure out the model from the engine specs...
This may not be a viable approach given how boats may be repowered with a different engine , much more so than in an automotive environment

Back