Logo

1982 Johnson 115hp Runs and then will not restart until a few hours have passed

LDSampson

Help!! Its driving me crazy! I own a 1981 Johnson 115 HP. I've had an ongoing problem this season. The engine starts and runs well. I turn the engine off and it will start up again right away, but if left off for awhile It will not restart. The next day it starts.

I have cleaned the fuel tank and the pickup screen in the tank, rebuilt the carbs. I even replaced the stbd ignition coils; there was a fraying wire inside the wire covering.

I replaced the starter with an after market starter?? I have been reading, when the engine gets turned off, and thus stops cooling, the starter picks up the ambient heat, causing the starter to get weaker??? Not sure if there is any truth to this or not?

Any ideas? Solutions preferred!

I turn the engine off and it will start up again right away, but if left off for awhile It will not restart. The next day it starts.

Ayuh,..... An idea, 'n a question,.....

You'll probably get more, better answers if ya post this in the Johnny Rude Outboard forum ,......

Is the motor doin' nothin' at all,..?? no click, no starter crankin' the motor over,..??
Or,.....
Is it crankin' over on the starter, 'n not starting,..??

Back