Logo

Lost bolt in the engine bay. 1976 Evinrude 70hp

ragweed70

Hey folks,
I have a bit of an odd question. I'm new to outboards so please forgive me if this is a silly question. (I've done some searching and couldn't find an answer yet.) I've recently replaced a started on my outboard. The top bolt on the new starter has suddenly disappeared. This has happened while running the motor. The cowl was in place. I cannot find the bolt anywhere. Is there any chance that it has made it's way to the lower leg? From videos online (none of which were of my motor) it would appear that things a pretty sealed up between the engine bay and the lower leg. I'm hoping that it's just floating below the engine bay for now. Is that possible? Should I be looking to remove the lower leg and do some sort of tear down to find/remove this elusive bolt? Should I be very worried?
Any advice would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

The Rookie.
:)

No need to worry about anything.-----Or remove that " horse shoe lower cowling " and you will likely see it fall on the ground.

You wouldn't believe the stuff I have found in these lower cowlings. They are simple to remove and clean, great design, they catch everything.

Last edited:
I just pulled mine off the other day, I was laughing at the amount of nuts, screws, hose clamps, you name it, that fell out.

Oh my gosh. What a blessing this thing is. Lol. Once I figured out how to remove it, the bolt just fell out. No other trinkets though. Lol. Thanks for the tip folks. I really appreciate it.
I put the starter back together, this time with lock tight. Hopefully that’s the last of that problem. (I can only hope.).

Back