Logo

1990 90 hsp evinrude rebuild

kherby1

just finished installing rebuilt PH .
Fired up and ran excellent , but water was gushing out around the bottom front of the cowling.
I could look up in the cavity, just in the front end of the exhaust housing and after starting the engine , about 2-3 seconds later water was just gushing out .
Gasket was installed per directions without sealant and all bolts were put in ( none missing ) , 12 bolts ( 6 long ), ( 2 short , in front ) , ( 4 studs w/ nuts , 2 front , 2 rear )
Bolts torqued to spec
Looked all around perimeter of the PH to Exhaust housing on the outside and gasket was intact and looked right where it should be, and looked compressed as a good fit.
I don't get it !!!!!!
Pulled power head back off and all looks fine . Gasket is in good shape ( not bent twisted , tore ) looks perfect.
Nothing foreign was in the joint ( such as a missing washer , piece of snap tie , etc. )
Nothing that would have interfered with the fit.
Obviously the water pump was pumping like crazy as it was new and was gushing everywhere underneath
I dont think that any water was getting to the PH as there never was a telltale and i shut the engine down very quickly as soon as the heads were getting too hot to hold with my hand . probably ran engine only 20 - 30 seconds . When it cooled down , i ran it again for a short 20-30 just to try to get a grasp on what the deal was
Anybody have any ideas
Maybe I need sealant on that gasket joint along with the gasket

I resealed the lower unit and installed a new waterpump kit and reinstalled the gearcase
All looked good and went together well .
besides , if it was the water tube out of place , then , i would not get any water or very little up to the PH and Exhaust Housing area , would I ?????
I will pull the Gearcase again , just to check though
Any other ideas ???
It seems to me like water is somehow getting past the gasket seal between the PH and the Exhaust Housing at the water passage area , although the manual says not to use a sealer on that gasket .
That new gasket has a very smooth , shiny surface on both sides

I doubt that the new gasket between the block and exhaust housing is the problem !-------Tell the rest of the story.----How long have you owned it ?----Salt water motor ?----Why did the powerhead have to be rebuilt ?----Did you find the cause of the powerhead failure ?

Ive had the boat and motor for 6 years now
i bought it from a fella who lived and only used it in Northern Minnesota
I live in Montana
Everything excellent shape , no corrosion . Came apart like a dream
Power head failure was preignition due to carbon build up on piston perimeters and stuck rings , compression rings were totally gone on #1 and #3. carbon buildup on 2 and 4 . Compressions prior to rebuild were #1-80, #2-110, #3-80, #4-110
New rebuilt PH , very clean gasket surfaces on the PH ,and Exhaust housing Adaptor Plate.
No signs whatsoever of either PH or EH water or exhaust gas passage areas of metal loss, and gasket / metal to metal sealing surface loss
I dont get it !!!
I am going to reinstall the PH today and use Gasket sealer on the gasket and surfaces and try again
Wish me luck
Will keep you posted

got it !!!!!!
Pulled PH and recleaned all surfaces . The first time i installed the PH , I did it per the manual and did not use a sealer on the gasket
This time when i reinstalled the Power Head , I coated both sides of the gasket and both mating surfaces with gasket sealing compound , let it get tacky , and dropped the PH into place and gradually torqued all bolts equally to spec
No more leak !!!!!!!!!
Hurray !!!!!

Back