Logo

Need help identifying part....Easy for someone, please help.

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I have a 1965 40 hp (rds-27m) johnson. It has a copper tube running from the electric choke unit on the side of the carburetor, to a threaded port on the side of the exhaust cover....There is actually two threaded holes in the exhaust cover, one has nothing in it currently. My question(s) is, what is this tube for?? ….And can these two threaded ports just be plugged??…
I pulled up a few exploded parts diagrams of this motor, but they give no explanation as to what these ports and hose are for
.I intend on manually choking this motor, as I removed the wiring harness.

Yes it is easy.------The hole that is NOT plugged is an air intake.----The engine pulls air in via the carburetor.-----This air goes through a heat exchanger ( 379518 shown on the parts pages ) as the motor heats up the hot air goes via that tube and over a BIMETTALIC spring at the carburetor.----This reduces tension on the choke spring.

Last edited:
Yes it is easy.------The hole that is NOT plugged is an air intake.----The engine pulls air in via the carburetor.-----This air goes through a heat exchanger ( 379518 shown on the parts pages ) as the motor heats up the hot air goes via that tube and over a BIMETTALIC spring at the carburetor.----This reduces tension on the choke spring.

Okay, thanks for explaining.....So does the hot air perform any other functions than what you just mentioned?....Can I get by without having this hooked up?I plan on manually choking the carb....

Back