Logo

1992 Yamaha 25hp clicking in neutral.

Cope1460

Hey there, New to the Forum and new to boats, but am mechanically inclined. I recently purchased a boat with a 1992 Yamaha 25hp long shaft, tiller and when it's in neutral it is clicking as if it is not quite in neutral. I move the shifter a little and the sound goes away. And it also wants to pop out of reverse, I've read up and tried setting the adjustment on the shift shaft, but can't get rid of that clicking. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Seems like it's just slightly too far forward. I would check the shift linkage on the engine. Seems like the shift joint needs to be adjusted. It's just a plastic joint that you pop off (on the side of the bottom cowling exterior) and twist to shorten or lengthen.

Thanks Rejesterd, I don't have anything on the bottom cowling (exterior) for the shifting. But you are exactly right. When I pop it out of reverse, it goes too far forward to where it is just touching on the forward side, if I pull it back about a 1/16-1/8 of an inch it goes away. I just can't figure out where to take that slack away.

No problem! That's where I'm having the issue. The diagrams are horrible. There are threads and a jam nut right at my shift lever, but I believe to do anything with it, a few things need to come off the motor. Starter, and some other do dad's. That might be the ticket tho...

Back