Logo

1992 mercruiser 4.3 Alpha one thunderbolt 4 system

Nelsonproffitt

Labor Day weekend I threw a rod in my motor. So I bought a new 4.3 long block. I’ve replaced the following items.
1. Flywheel
2. Ignition sensor
3. Rebuilt starter
4. New eldabrock carb
5. exhaust flaps

everything else on the motor is stuff off the other. So my issue I am having is random starter kick back. We finally started it today and timed it 8 degrees before top dead center at 650 rpms. Initially everything went great, we let the motor warm to normal operating temp for about 10- 20 min on a hose and made sure the thermostat was working correctly which it was. After this we wanted to go ahead and winterize so I shut the motor down. Hooked the antifreeze hose up to it and tried to start the motor and it made an awful kick back like it did previously when the timing was out due to a loose distributor. So I tried it again and it worked flawlessly. Started right up and purred like a kitten. We winterized it and then shut it down. I got curious and wanted to see if the problem had went away and sure enough when I cranked it over it kicked back like heck. I tried again and it kicked back again tried it on the third time and it cranked up. So I’m out of ideas on this one, it’s a brand new starter and flywheel and the timing is 100% 8 degrees btc. Has anyone had this issue? Almost seems like there is too much compression. I’m gonna call the company i bought the motor from and talk with them in the morning and see. I’m just not sure what it is. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Hooked the antifreeze hose up to it

So ,unless you drained everything first you used the "sure-crack" method?

Timing is off is there is kickback, too advanced

There have been several post this year pointing to AFTERMARKET ignition sensors being used and causing kick back and older two wire sensors also may be causing kickback.

What sensor did you buy? EOM or Sierra?
three wire or two wire?

Back