Logo

Tohatsu 6hp SP - choke problem

silvax

Hi,

It´s my first post on this forum and I´m looking for some feedback on my problem.

In March´19 I bought a new Tohatsu 6hp SP (Sail Pro) for my First 235 and I´m really pleased with it, but, I´m having some problems/mal function with the choke.

The thing is, with a cold engine I pull the choke all the way and when the motor starts (2 ou 3 pulls max) instead of getting some nice revs (maybe 1.500/2.000?) it get almost no revs, making very difficult to keep the motor running.

I manage to find a way - close the choke fast and get some revs from the throttle - but the choke worked really good the first 4 months.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance!

How is the warmed-up idle setting? Two things happen when applying the manual choke: 1. Idle is increased, and 2, the choke butterfly closes, richening the mixture. This is typically only needed when starting cold; If the idle speed is set a little low, you might need to add throttle when releasing the choke. In moderately cool temps, often just fire with choke closed, and then open it up right away.

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your reply. I’d say the warmed up idle is about right. The question is that the choke is not increasing the idle like it should, but it did, during the first 4 months.

"About right" doesn't say much. Check it with a shop tach.
The only way that applying choke cannot advance throttle is if the plastic advancer arm is broken off; I have never seen that in 20 years of working on these.
Do you Religiously run the carb dry at the end of the day? If not, and the carb sits with fuel in it for a week or two, odds are you need a Proper carb cleaning, and then go from there.

"doesn't say much" fair enough. Will check!
The piece - plastic advancer arm - is not broken.

Thank you again for your time and tech input.
Ricardo

Back