Logo

Prop not engaging

Mjcb2000

Hello!

I’ve got a problem that started up late in this years boating season. Occasionally, after starting up the boat and engaging the throttle from neutral to forward, the prop isn’t catching. Sounds like the prop shaft spins but the prop itself doesn’t as I don’t move forward. I switch it back to neutral then engage forward again, and off I go. But it did seem to get worse and worse as time went on.

after I took the boat out of the water to winterize, I took the prop off and checked the prop spline...it looked good.

any thoughts on what it could be? Something in the gears? Or could it be something with the prop itself.

Thanks!

That is an Alpha Gen2 Sterndrive.

If your drive did not shift into gear when moved to forward position and then shifted into gear when you tried it again.... I would look at the shifter at the helm and make sure the shift bypass button was not pushed in.

That is an Alpha Gen2 Sterndrive.

If your drive did not shift into gear when moved to forward position and then shifted into gear when you tried it again.... I would look at the shifter at the helm and make sure the shift bypass button was not pushed in.

I’m not sure that’s it. When I experience the issue and move the throttle to forward, I can hear the rear end spin up, almost like the spline is spinning inside the propeller housing.

I’m not sure that’s it. When I experience the issue and move the throttle to forward, I can hear the rear end spin up, almost like the spline is spinning inside the propeller housing.

Well, I think you may need to find a local Marine Mechanic to check this out for you. It will be worth the 1 hour labor fee.

I was wondering if it could be the hub...but ya it’s the flo-torq style. The gear oil level was actually low, below the add line.

ive since taken the boat out and winterized it, including changing the gear oil. This is the first year I did it myself. I use to get a neighbor to do it for me, so I’m not sure if the level was low from the job he did last year or if it’s leaking somewhere.

Could be he prop hub if its rubber , a plastic flo-torq would just break. drive oil level?

I was wondering if it could be the hub...but ya it’s the flo-torq style. The gear oil level was actually low, below the add line.

ive since taken the boat out and winterized it, including changing the gear oil. This is the first year I did it myself. I use to get a neighbor to do it for me, so I’m not sure if the level was low from the job he did last year or if it’s leaking somewhere.

FYI,
When you drain the outdrive and refill (from the bottom) until gear oil comes out of top vent hole and resevior is full to line, Once you run the boat the level will drop by at least 1/4 as out drive fills up once air is displaced with the gear oil.

Hope you did gear oil change correctly. If not you WILL be buying a new drive........

FYI,
When you drain the outdrive and refill (from the bottom) until gear oil comes out of top vent hole and resevior is full to line, Once you run the boat the level will drop by at least 1/4 as out drive fills up once air is displaced with the gear oil.

Hope you did gear oil change correctly. If not you WILL be buying a new drive........

yup, that’s how I did it. Filled from bottom until came out of vent. Then topped up reservoir to line.

The flo-torque Hub plastic is what fails, Take the prop off, Take the brass center out and knock the plastic part out of the prop for inspection. Once these hubs are spun your boat usually will not move forward any longer.

Back