Logo

1989 Mercury Black Max 175

Vinnie61

New to the forum and looking for help. My 89 175 normally runs fine. After going to several fishing spots, I sat down and attempted to start her up. I had to lift the fast idle lever to get it to start and when it started up it sounded strange. Every time I would lower the idle lever it would die. I was once able to sort of quickly lower the lever and get it in gear only to have it die immediately. Needles to say, I had to troll my way home. After I got her home, I did the usual thing and bought new plugs since it had been three years since I had changed them. This did not help. One thing I did notice is that on one side all three plugs were "wet" with fuel/oil and the other side was dry. What are some things I can check before loading it up and taking it to a mechanic?

I want to give a HUGE thank you to you guys. You saved me tons on money. After downloading the CDI repair section I did my electrical checks on my motor. Found it was the switches. Ordered two new ones from Amazon for $73.00 for the pair. Installed them and she runs like new!! Again, thank you very much.

Back