Logo

1967 Johnson 60 hp shifting problems

mri6576

" I have a old boat I picked u

" I have a old boat I picked up. I saw it run in the water just fine before I bought it. My first time using though, it had hard time moving into forward. Reverse seemed fine. It would engage at first and purr along just great, but after awhile, refused to engage altogether. Since this, I have garaged it and replaced the oil in the gearcase. I have done know disassembly though, waiting on a manual I ordered. It sure appears to be engage and disengage fine in the garage. I am hoping this problem is minor. ANyone have any thoughts on this? "

"Mri6567.... You don't go

"Mri6567.... You don't go into much detail such as possible the engine goes into gear but jumps out, or a noise might appear when attempting to shift, etc. The fact that it engages in the garage makes me wonder if possibly you have had the hub in the propeller fail.

To test this, put the engine in gear, block the propeller with a 2x4, (have the s/plugs out), using a long breaker bar and socket, try to turn the engine over. If you can turn the engine over and the prop shaft turns inside of the propeller, the prop hub has failed and will require replacing. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

Back