Logo

Lower Unit swap question.

Biggizmo

I have posted a few items here regarding my 1978 Johson 75 Stinger.
With help from several good folks here I managed to get my engine running quite well. Near total rebuild.
Recently I acquired a 1971 or 72 Evinrude 115 on a Bayliner.
The motor itself was moderately burned in a fuel leak fire.
Don't have time now to look for replacement parts needed.
However, my Johnson 75 Stinger lower unit was badly beaten before I bought it. I did put in New water pump and replaced all seal in the lower unit
Including new prop.
My Idea is to swap the 115 Evinrude with the 75 Johnson lower units. They appear to be exactly the same except logo and colors.
Both long shaft...identical bolt pattern and identical prop shaft.
The 115 has a heavy steel prop...same pitch but smaller diameter
Blade swing.
I have a new aluminum prop I plan on putting on it.
Here's the question:

Is this swap compatible and feasable?
Already have both lower units removed for comparison.

There simply is no chance that it will fit.-----And a 71 or 72 model V-4 is electric shift as well.---How did you check the bolt pattern ?-----By eye or with a measuring tape ?-----Will not work !

Having gone back to the engine...numbers give a newer date.
But it is NOT an electric shift.
My lower unit firs the V4 perfectly on bolt pattern. Slides right
in and bolt pattern is exact match.
So I slid the V4 Lower Unit up into the 75 and it too
Has a perfect match.
Rotation is clockwise as well.
This is why I asked the question.
The drive shafts are exactly the same as well as the
shift rods. I will look for anything else you recommend.

There need to be some facts / pictures presented here.-----The V-4 model 1972 and older had a coarse spline similar to the 3 cylinder 1978 spline..--------The 73 and newer V-4 models had a fine spline on the end of the driveshaft that is NOT the same as the spline on a 1978 movel 3 cylinder.----Just not the same.-------Good luck with your project.----I can not see what you have on your work bench !

Post some model numbers or a bunch of pictures of this stuff.----A V-4 and 3 cylinder lower unit have a different bolt pattern !!---I just verified and checked on some bits I have laying around.--I do not believe your stuff is properly identified !

Last edited:
Back