Logo

aq140a heat exchanger

Orthas

Hey all

I have a small crack on the fittings of my heat exchanger plastic housing.
These new are ridiculously expensive. Is this ok to use if I repair it with jb weld or something similar? It's not huge pressure from memory.
Here is a pic of the damage
heat.jpg
I would like to get a new one but money is a bit tight right now

Thanks

I understand. I have been looking around the net and the cheapest I have found is over $700. I live in New Zealand and the shipping is almost if not more than the part (and then local tax on top of that). I thought seeing as the damage was only on the mounting some good strong sealant would work for now until I have the money for a new piece.

Any advise on a potential (temp) fix would be most welcome

I understand. I have been looking around the net and the cheapest I have found is over $700. I live in New Zealand and the shipping is almost if not more than the part (and then local tax on top of that). I thought seeing as the damage was only on the mounting some good strong sealant would work for now until I have the money for a new piece.

Any advise on a potential (temp) fix would be most welcome

I'm sorry to hear that this part is so expensive for you in New Zealand.

As for a temporary repair, I would not dare make a suggestion.
As said, if this part was to fail, you could over-heat your engine and end up paying for a much more costly repair down the road.

If I am not mistaken. Isn't that where the sea water goes to the oil cooler? a small leak wouldn't matter I assume as it will just suck more water up from the ocean and won't be losing from the stored water in the reservoir. So I think I would be happy to try and fix this one for now at least

Last edited:
As for a temporary repair, I would not dare make a suggestion.

Ayuh,...... I would dremel a little grove in the crack, sand the surroundin' areas, 'n epoxy it,......

Then start lookin' for another copy of yer motor, used take-out, in New Zealand,......
Take what ya need from it, 'n either store it or sell what's left,.....

If it was my boat, given its the mounting flange, I'd repair it. Instead of using jb anything, I'd spend a few bucks and invest in a plastic welding gun, about USD75 at Harbor Freight. The only tricky part will be determining which type of plastic "welding" rod to use for the repair. Lots of youtube videos out there. You most likely will have to do some post repair "machining" i.e., some filing and a redrill of the hole.

Back