Logo

Trim/Tilt Dead - New Boat Owner - Please Help!

wabash2015

I'm a new owner to a 1999 Javelin boat with a 1999 90 HP Johnson. When I bought the boat the previous owner really slacked on maintaining the trim/tilt system.

Long story short, I think the trim motor is dead. I can hear the relays clicking under the cowl. I tried removing the relays, cleaning them, and putting them back, but I still only hear the relays clicking on both up and down. I can hear the trim motor itself very faintly trying to work but nothing happens.

I noticed that the previous own used globs of silicon to attempt to seal the trim motor base instead of just purchasing a new O-ring. I'm betting water and other crud got into the trim motor at some point.

I'm not much of a DIY person, but i'm willing to learn. I watched a few YouTube videos on replacing the trim motor, but it looks somewhat complicated. My biggest concern is that I cannot raise the outboard even when releasing the manual release valve. I haven't tried unscrewing it all the way, but after a few turns it won't budge at all.

My questions: Does this sound like the trim motor is bad? Is this something I can do in my driveway if I rent an engine hoist to keep the outboard safely lifted up?

Any feedback/assistance is greatly appreciated! Once I do figure out/fix the issue i'll be sure to post to hopefully help someone else!

The manual release valve.... Two (2) turns out is plenty, no more is needed. I recommend this as if that valve is turned out too much, the sealing "O" Ring will run into a retaining snap ring which is there as a safety to keep the valve from being accidentally dropped in the water. Naturally that snap ring will destroy the "O" Ring, adding to your troubles.

If two turns out (at least, in your case) and you cannot lift/move the engine up/down... then either you're that 98 lb weakling that Charles Atlas used to advertise about in the back comic book covers... or... a cylinder is frozen internally... or... the tilt/steering tube is somewhat frozen/corroded, in which case loosen one of the retaining nuts a turn, and using WD40 or whatever, try to move the steering bracket sideways slightly (back & forth).

The electric motor is a dual polarity motor, meaning that voltage applied to its two wires will make it run in one direction, and reversing the wires will make it run in the opposite direction....... So, trace the electric motor's wires back to its connector, disconnect it, then use small jumper wires from the battery directly to those two wires. That'll tell you the condition of the electric motor instantly.

The manual release valve.... Two (2) turns out is plenty, no more is needed. I recommend this as if that valve is turned out too much, the sealing "O" Ring will run into a retaining snap ring which is there as a safety to keep the valve from being accidentally dropped in the water. Naturally that snap ring will destroy the "O" Ring, adding to your troubles.

If two turns out (at least, in your case) and you cannot lift/move the engine up/down... then either you're that 98 lb weakling that Charles Atlas used to advertise about in the back comic book covers... or... a cylinder is frozen internally... or... the tilt/steering tube is somewhat frozen/corroded, in which case loosen one of the retaining nuts a turn, and using WD40 or whatever, try to move the steering bracket sideways slightly (back & forth).

The electric motor is a dual polarity motor, meaning that voltage applied to its two wires will make it run in one direction, and reversing the wires will make it run in the opposite direction....... So, trace the electric motor's wires back to its connector, disconnect it, then use small jumper wires from the battery directly to those two wires. That'll tell you the condition of the electric motor instantly.

Thank you for this!

I had tightened the tilt tube nut quite a bit because it was very loose - is it possible I over tightened it somehow? I'll try to loosen it some, then use the relief valve and see if I can raise it.

I'll be sure to post an updated result once I have it.

Back