Logo

How best to handle water in gas

JerEazy

Contributing Member
200EXTED for what it may be worth.

Finally got the engine running great - but I’ve been using a portable tank as I assumed the sediment and such in an old sitting tank would (at minimum) cause running issues based on contamination.

so I put 25 gallons in the tank, installed a fresh FW separated filet and hook it up to a line, then a 10 micron, then pump, then another 10 micron and then back into the tank. Basically trying to polish the fuel myself.

Once it was all done I installed a new FW filter and decided that after 6 gallons on the portable I was going to hook up main and test.

Welp, she fell on her face. Pumping the bulb into a jar on the water resulted in milky/foamy fuel. Hooked back up portable, emptied the bowls, and got her started again and ran great.

so the question comes to, what’s best to do here? Put more fuel in? Treat? Use the same system and Change the FW filter like every 10 minutes? Or just have someone come out and clean it professionally?

I see some some items online that filter water out - but - as seen on TV right?

thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
buy a electric fuel pump from auto zone and pump the tank into containers you can see thru. Syphon off the good gas and leave the water

I have a fuel pump I can use - but see through containers is something I’m lacking. Seems like a lot of little glass jars hahah.

I like rhe idea but it doesn’t really seem too practical.

If your gasoline has ethanol in it you cannot polish this fuel. Once the fuel phase separates it is all no good. Phase separation happens as soon as the water is introduced. One quart of water will destroy 50 gallons of gasoline.

You cannot pump the ethanol/water mix out and leave the gasoline behind, the octane rating will be so low you will destroy your engine.

Back