Logo

Engine alignment frustration! Help!

Well looks like I'm just stumped. New mounts put in and now I can't even get the tool to go in more than an inch.

Got the tool to go in but haven't been able to get it to go in and out smoothly. Is it really that difficult to find the sweet spot? I mean maybe I'm raising and lowering it too much at a time?

Okay so what is the method you use to get it close? There is just nothing to reference besides looking down the opening which doesn't tell you much.

I know seasoned mechanics who still have problems with this so don't get frustrated.

You have to remember along with the engine height adjustment you have to keep moving the gimbal bearing to get the alignment perfect.

After you make an engine mount adjustment move and recenter the gimbal bearing.

Last edited:
How much does the gimbal move? I have tapped on it with a mallet but it does not seem to make much difference. I don't want to hit it to hard and damge something.

Last edited:
The inner bearing, outer race is rounded not flat/square.

With the aligment tool partially thru the bearing you should be able to move the bearing far enough that the aligment tool may contact the Gimbal housing.
only use the tool and do not tap on the bearing itself.

Using how much force?

You can move it with the tool with out the use of a hammer. Push the tool into the bearing, not far enough to get into the coupler and push down on the tool you will fee the bearing pivot. Every time you make an adjustment to the mount, you have to adjust the bearing, (you will adjust it like it was just installed.)

So this is how I was able to conquer this issue. I went to the local metal sales store and bought a 1 inch piece of stainless round stock and stuck it in till it bottomed out in the coupler. I was then able to clearly see that I was still way off by sighting down the round stock to see if it is centered in the bearing. If I had done this right from the start, I would have saved a lot of time and cussing! Hope this helps someone else with their struggles..

So this is how I was able to conquer this issue. I went to the local metal sales store and bought a 1 inch piece of stainless round stock and stuck it in till it bottomed out in the coupler. I was then able to clearly see that I was still way off by sighting down the round stock to see if it is centered in the bearing. If I had done this right from the start, I would have saved a lot of time and cussing! Hope this helps someone else with their struggles..

Good to hear you got it done.... Like I said, I know seasoned mechanics who have trouble with this.

Back