Logo

2003 bf225 fuel issues

Apex400

Recently brought my boat into the shop to fix an oil leak, which I assumed to be shift shaft seals, big job so I figured a professional was in order. It ended up being a crack in the case, so had that replaced along with seal, exhaust tubes, shift shaft, fuel filters (high and low pressure), water pump and a few miscellaneous things. Got it back, after 2months and just took it out, and got 100yrds and it stalled out, pumped primer got ut running for a minute but not consistently. Needless to say, after spending a ton of money im very frustrated. I can take it back to them, but at an hr and 45min each way and pretty much a certainty it would be the end of my season here in the north east. I assume its directly related to the work done as it ran beautiful before, I have fuel running freely to the exit side of the primer bulb and thats as far as I got there, also took water seperator apart everything moves freely and continuty reads as it should with float in up/down position, gonna work on it all day tomorrow (instead of fishing) so any insight you guys can give me is definitely appreciated. Also fuel doesnt seem to be filling much in the low pressure filter maybe 3/4" or so, not sure if thats normal. Thanks guys

Any alarms or red lights on your key switch panel when it's running poorly?

Did you try to pull fault codes? If not, do so.

Give more info about how the engine is not running "consistently." Is it cutting out? Missing? Lacking power? Or just dies outright?

A couple of quick things to check...

1. Make sure that the drain screw that you open up to drain the VST is tightly seated.
2. Drain the VST.
3. Make sure that the vacuum hose to the IAB diaphragm is hooked up. That's the diaphragm that you need to remove to get to the HP fuel filter.
4. Pull the HP fuel filter and make sure the spring is in there at the bottom of the filter. (Be careful re-seating the O ring when you put it back together.)
5. Check that the three big connectors to the ECU are properly seated and secure.
6. Check your primer bulb for partial collapse when it's running poorly. Setting at the shop for two months give critters plenty of time to build a nest in your fuel tank vent.

Update: took side cover off and pulled back the corrugated line hide tube and found that the service center ran the fuel line over top of the hold down bracket instead of underneath, which caused the line to pinch. Rerouted it and it worked beautiful today. Thanks guys and hopefully this helps someone else.

Back