Logo

150 Johnson (2001) Carb - Starts, runs, engine is hot turn off, will not idle on restart

Mjreynolds928

I have had this boat for about 5 months. It has had this symptom the whole time. The first start of the day, it starts right up, idles perfect, runs great, idles great after warm. However, when i turn the motor off. It sits for a while, upon restart, it will start up every time. However, it runs the fuel out of the build and dies. It will not let me engage the motor in drive. I have to rev the engine up and smack it into gear, after the motor is driving it does great and even idles great. It just doesn’t want to start and idle after it is warm/hot.

Any advice would be GREAT!

Your fuel system is losing prime after it sets. Test the primer bulb and look for leaks at the pump and fittings.

Your flexible fuel line connects to an "Anti Siphon" valve at the built in fuel tank.

I suspect the the inner portions of the valve have been discarded due to a sticking of the valve that resulted in a fuel restriction. This scenario would allow fuel to siphon backwards into the tank from the engine.

Replace the anti siphon valve with a new one, then get back to us with the results.

If it has the aluminum anti siphon valve replace it with BRP valve as the aluminum ones cause problems. Only use a OEM bulb also.
BRP anti siphon valve numbers:
173273 for the 5/16
173274 for the 3/8

That's where the anti siphon valve would be. Now, whether that is actually a anti siphon valve remains to be seen.

Back