Logo

Yamaha F225 TXRD 4 stroke 2005 voltage problem

Mickey2019

Hi guys, please help. I took my boat last saturday out wanted to fish ,so I run my motor on muffs night before and in morning before my trip everything was good and working like it should, so I went to my usual boat ramp drop my boat in water started right up checked everything and left to go catch bait ,my voltage was reading 14.2 V while driving there there was no warning light or buzzer alarm everything was smooth, about 10 min ride , I stop turned motor off to go catch bait ,so 30 min after i got back got my bait i tried starting so i can go to my favorite fishing spot but my motor wouldn't start all i hear was loud clicking and buzzing it was coming from main relay under the tilt trim relay, my batteries are good and tested ,i get 12.45 V to the power + post on the motor if the terminal is not connected to starter fuse or motor the moment is connected voltage drops to 7-8V and buzzing starts at main relay ,now my left digital instrument reading error and right side has fades 0 barely visible there is a draw somewhere somewehre on motor I cant find it ,can anyone please tell me if you had anything similar to my problem like out of blue no start just clicking voltage going down,starter doesnt engage nothing works tilt trim nothing.please help.thank you sorry if i made errors ,i am first time here .thanks

A simple bad connection will cause this. Amperage during maintaining/charging is a lot less then when engaging the starter. Clean all connections and inspect the battery switch if equipped.

Thanks man, we did all that yes i have perko battery switch my batteries are good 6 months old, we tested batteries and load all checked out,also starter is new but we tested any ways, i further tested today and this is what i found out if i unplug main wiring harness that goes back to remote and ignition switch i get normal voltage, so I am assuming i might just have bad ignition switch ,so I will order that and see what happens ,just crazy how it happen out of blue from working perfect to 30 min after nothing worked just clicking and buzzing when i turn key.as i said if wiring harness is plugged my voltage goes down big time and if i unplug it goes up normal 12.54 V ,i keep thinking it might be something on motor like reg/rectifier but seems problem is on the front all fuse are good and have voltage/power .so i really think it might be key ignition switch. Should i get one on ebay or you guys suggest somewhere else.thank you

I think you are missing a bad connection somewhere on the engine. Also, grab the rigging cable(battery cables that hook to the engine) Put it up to your ear and bend it, does it crackle?

Back