Logo

383 Stroker Build Questions

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi All

I have a 1996 non vortec 350 TBI motor which needs replacement.

This motor has a one piece rear main seal crank.

The drive is a VP DP C1

My plan is to rebuild a 1988 350 SBC using a 383 stroker kit wth D dish pistons and Vortec heads.

I have questions:

Is a cast 383 kit sufficient?

Using my existing flywheel, do I need an internally or externally balanced stroker kit?

Thank you

Jon Allen

Hi All

I have a 1996 non vortec 350 TBI engine which needs replacement.

This engine has a one piece rear main seal crank.

The drive is a VP DP C1
Most likely the 1.95:1.
The 6.3L will be better in front of the 1.78:1 drive.

My plan is to rebuild a 1988 350 SBC using a 383 stroker kit wth D dish pistons and Vortec heads.
The LCQ style piston is a better match to the Vortec cylinder head quench surface and combustion chamber.

I have questions:

Is a cast 383 kit sufficient?
The better stroker kit cast crankshafts are generally made of steel.
"For small-blocks, a safe limit for a cast crank is 500 hp and a maximum of 6,500 rpm."

Using my existing flywheel, do I need an internally or externally balanced stroker kit?
The "stroker" crankshaft (3.750") is based on the 400 cu in SBC engine.
These are additionally balanced by the 400 style harmonic balancer.
Your kit will include this.

Thank you

Jon Allen

Jon, you can also follow Windy Bay's recent thread for some of this info.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...Dressing-out-a-New-Engine&p=664121#post664121

Hi Rick

Thanks for the quick reply.

What does LCQ stand for?

i figure Low Compression Quench?

I don’t see piston manufacturer’s listing this style of piston however I get the idea.

It’s best to match the piston’s quench area with the flat area of the cylinder heads combustion chamber.

Using Vortec heads I would want a piston with a kidney shaped profile

So if I order a kit, It needs to be externally balanced and all I have to do is use the supplied harmonic balancer?

I can use my existing flywheel as is? I

Hi Rick

Thanks for the quick reply.

What does LCQ stand for?

I don’t see piston manufacturer’s listing this style of piston however I get the idea.

It’s best to match the piston’s quench area with the flat area of the cylinder heads combustion chamber.

So if I order a kit, It needs to be externally balanced and all I have to do is use the supplied harmonic balancer?

I can use my existing flywheel as is?

Thanks

Jon Allen

What does LCQ stand for?

Yes... low compression quench.
These typically offer a quench surface that more specifically mirrors the Vortec cylinder head's quench surface, including the swirl point area.

Not all manufactures will use the same language.
However, you'll know this piston when you see it!

SLP-H890CP60_xl.jpg
cceb1a877449b3ad8c9fce34daaa4fde.jpg

It’s best to match the piston’s quench area with the flat area of the cylinder heads combustion chamber?
You won't be matching anything re; the combustion chamber itself!
You will want the piston's quench surface to mirror the cylinder head's quench surface that is just north of the combustion chamber!

See images above!

If you are buying a complete stroker kit, all of the components should have already been balanced.
If you are having a machine shop build this engine for you, I would get them involved in the parts ordering process!

I can use my existing flywheel as is?
I believe that the 5.7 L flywheel is neutral balanced.
Perhaps ask that question of the company who is supplying the crankshaft/kit!

A few more things to note:
.....Depending on your flywheel cover (bell housing in the auto world), you will need to pre-select a flywheel in either the 153 tooth ring gear diameter, or in the 168 tooth ring gear diameter.
.....Each requires a different starter motor.
.....Your Borg Warner drive coupler will mount to either of them.
.....If you have a single bearing PDS with a pilot nose on it, your crankshaft will need to have the correct bushing installed in it!

Last edited:
Hi Rick

Thank you once again for sharing with us your vast knowledge of Marine Engines.

Perhaps the time is right for you to start working on a book like Dave Vizard gave us many years ago but with a slant towards Marine applications.

Thank you.

Jon Allen

Jon, here's an example of the two types flywheel covers.
One with the single bearing PDS w/ pilot nose, and one with the double bearing PDS w/o pilot nose.
Your DP-C1 most likely has the PDS w/ the pilot nose. If so, you'll need to have the correct ID bushing installed in the crankshaft.

volvo penta PDS single vs double bearing.jpg

The GM V-8 single bearing PDS FC will accept the 168 tooth flywheel.
The GM V-8 double bearing PDS FC will accept the 153 tooth flywheel only.

Back