Logo

Neither engine will idle.

mrt214

I have twin bravo 350 and I can't get them to idle when in neutral. I can get them to run at 1600 RPM and above but as soon as I pull the lever back the engine stall out and this is happening with both engines not just one. I have taken 1 carburetor apart and rebuilt and still have the same problem. I have taken fuel lines off of fuel tank and put them separately into 5 gallon of 93 octane gas. Either engine will run as long as I have the RPM up over 14 15 16 hundred RPMs but like I said as soon as I pulled back and go into neutral the engine stall. The engines will start with levers pulled back but will not continue to run. Any suggestions on what I can check next would be great I'm just wondering if there's something in the linkage that's preventing it from running at idle at this point I cannot even shift gears to move the boat.

My best guess? They're timed wrong and are retarded like crazy.

Has someone messed with them lately?

Jeff

I have twin bravo 350 and I can't get them to idle when in neutral. I can get them to run at 1600 RPM and above but as soon as I pull the lever back the engine stall out and this is happening with both engines not just one. I have taken 1 carburetor apart and rebuilt and still have the same problem. I have taken fuel lines off of fuel tank and put them separately into 5 gallon of 93 octane gas. Either engine will run as long as I have the RPM up over 14 15 16 hundred RPMs but like I said as soon as I pulled back and go into neutral the engine stall. The engines will start with levers pulled back but will not continue to run. Any suggestions on what I can check next would be great I'm just wondering if there's something in the linkage that's preventing it from running at idle at this point I cannot even shift gears to move the boat.

Ethanol will leave hard deposits in fine metering passages that carb cleaner ( and a classic rebuild) won't touch. Needs to be removed mechanically, i.e. with a very fine wire.
Which carb?

Did this just happen all of the sudden or gradually? Does the engine exhaust smell rich as if unburned fuel is coming out the exhaust? If so the carbs may be flooding, this can happen due to bad floats (absorbing gas, or a leaky defective needle valve). If they do not put out rich smelling exhaust it could be clogging in the carb's idle circuits, which is common with engines that sit for too long. May need a thorough carb cleaning as suggested above. Whatever it is, seems likely to be affecting the carb's idle system (float, needle, jets, idle passages etc).

yeah I'm going to try removing the carburetor rebuild it completely on the starboard side which is the one that was giving me the most problem and see what happens from there if that takes care of that then I'll do the port side also.

Per post #10 the vac gauge is a good idea . Not knowing how you rebuilt it with todays fuels sometimes a ultrasonic bath is needed or a welding tip cleaner is needed for the smaller passages

What carb are you using?

Ok guys I took the starboard carb apart and cleaned every hole and orifice with a welding tip cleaner. I put it all back together and bingo ,it runs and shifts like it was made to do. I took the port side off today and doing the same. Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. This is why we have these sites

Back