Logo

Changing water pump on my outboard

Gmanf61nc

I have never changed the water pump on my 03 50hp mercury outboard and am thinking about changing it. It is still pumping water it's just not as strong a stream at idle or low rpm. Should I get just the pump or a kit with the gaskets and o-rings? The motor has been in fresh and salt water but every time I came home from the coast I would always stop by a lake and flush everything real good. I always flushed the motor every day it was in saltwater.

That's what I was thinking. Should I replace the prop shaft seal while I have it apart? The only parts I have replaced are the motor trim relays and spark plugs. It has been a very dependable motor and I want to keep it that way.

Regarding the prop shaft seal, is there any water in the lower unit lubricant? After my outboard has set in its down position in the driveway, I unscrew the lower unit drain plug a bit and see if any water comes out or a chocolate milk mixture of oil and water.

If you want it to be reliable, you may want to change the water pump impeller more than once every 16 yrs. Once every 3 is a good recommendation.

Back