Logo

1987 25hp Mercury - Getting too much gas

Cmartin

Hello, I have a 1987 Mercury 25hp 2 stroke and the motor is getting way too much gas. The motor was running perfectly and then all of a sudden i came back to start it the next day and it kept flooding itself. I can start and run the motor only if I prime the bulb a few times, hit the choke, then unplug the fuel line before starting. I can continue running the motor by running it without the fuel line in and plugging in the fuel line intermittently when the motor begins to die from running out of gas but if I leave it in too long it will get too much gas and flood itself. When I take the cover off the motor and press the primer bulb i can see a constant stream of gas goes into the carb and sprays out into the engine and into the lake. I have cleaned the carb but it did not solve this issue but I am not very mechanically inclined so I dont know if any of the part were worn out. I did pay extra attention to the needle though and checked it and noticed that it was in good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Rebuild the carb with a good kit that includes.the fuel pump and primer assembly. Pay attention the the spring and check ball under the primer.

What FS said; maybe the carb float is not doing its job to restrict flow from the tank to the float bowl; however, I am dangerous as I have rebuilt my own carbs.

Back