Logo

1990 Evinrude 150 max adavance

freediver16

I have the Seloc manual that covers 1973-91 johnson/evinrude 60-235 hp. For the 150, the max timing advance from 1978-1988 was 28-32 degrees. Then in 1989 the max advance drops to 19 degrees. This does not sound right to me. What changed in 1989 that would warrant reducing the amount of timing advance so much ?

I have a 1990 evinrude 150 that I bought as a project motor. I have only had the motor on the water once and I did not give it full throttle because I had not yet checked the max timing advance nor did I have a tach on the boat. I have a tach on the boat now and would like to see what this motor will do. I want to make sure the max timing is set correctly.The guy I bought the motor off of had the timing set at 28. No where online do I see guys setting timing to 19 degrees. Is the seloc book incorrect ?

Seloc manual is a waste of money! Next time spend the money on the factory manual. Max timing only goes out if if was manually changed or something catatstrophic happend. Timing stays set for.the life of the motor unless touched.
So if yours has not been touched leave it alone.

Max timing only goes out if if was manually changed or something catatstrophic happend. Timing stays set for.the life of the motor unless touched.
So if yours has not been touched leave it alone.

The guy I bought the motor off sold it dirt cheap because he couldn't figure out why it wasn't running right and had spent alot of money on new parts. That leads me to believe that he may have messed with the timing and set it incorrectly in his attempts to fix the motor.

What changed in 1989 that would warrant reducing the amount of timing advance so much ?
Full introduction of 35amp stator and POS "T" powerpack. Set static timing to 24° as this will put you at 27-28° at WOT... THIS is only for a CROSSFLOW motor!!!!

Back