Logo

Electric Fuel Pump?

noelct

Regular Contributor
Folks,

I am considering installing an electric fuel pump on my M440. Has anyone done this? Things to watch out for? As always, flared fuel lines, and def marine rated.

Thanks, Noel.

Noel, I like the idea.

Note that along with the electric fuel pump, USCG regs require us to incorporate a means of cutting power to the fuel pump in the absence of engine oil pressure.... or more specifically, if the engine was to stop running due to a severed fuel line.

This is fairly easy to do.
You will install a N/O (normally open) Low Oil Pressure switch into the engine's oiling system.
The LOP switch (
when approx 4 to 6 psi oil pressure is achieved) will trigger a relay.
The relay will then power the fuel pump.
In the absence of 4 to 6 psi oil pressure, the relay will drop out of the loop, and the fuel pump will stop working.

That covers the safety feature.

Now you will need a means of powering the fuel pump prior to engine oil pressure.

Two ways to do this:

1 ..... a start-by-pass circuit that uses the starter motor solenoid circuit to temporarily trigger the relay.
2 ..... a momentary helm switch (must be "momentary") that will temporarily trigger the relay.

#2 allows the operator to prime the fuel delivery system without cranking the engine over.
In the long run, this will extend starter motor and battery life.

Your call on that!

Last edited:
Hey thanks Rick. Yes, I was contemplating safety measures, to keep pump from running if ignition is on. Got relay and pressure switch, along with pump on the way. Hopefully everything shows up, and some time frees this w/e to let me test it all out.

Back