Logo

460 king cobra in a f100

Kmckibbin

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone that has put a 460 king cobra into a pickup of any kind or year. I have access to one for cheap that runs well, thinking about putting it into 1978 f100. Just wondering if they where happy with the power.

Would think this would work just fine if you can get the mounts to line up vs what was in the truck originally, as marine and truck engine use/loads/torque curve are similar. You'll need some truck parts like bellhousing etc that are different on the marine engine.

Well, if we put a RAT motor in a VW anything is possible . need the rear bell housing , flywheel , front engine mounts from a 460 auto motor, and maybe custom plates to bolt it to the frame rails

There may be a clearance issue with the exhaust manifolds, especially if they are of the center rise type.

There may be a clearance issue with the exhaust manifolds, especially if they are of the center rise type.

The OP is asking if a Marine 460 KC engine can be made to work in a pickup of any kind or year.
He says that he has access to one (an OMC 460 Ford) for cheap, and he's thinking about putting it into 1978 Ford F-100.
If this engine can be made to work in a 1978 F-100, he would not be able to use a Marine center-rise exhaust system!

Last edited:
Here is one style of a Ford 460 exhaust manifold that may work in the F-100 application.

shopping

Here's one style of the water cooled OMC 460 exhaust manifold that would not work in any car/truck application.

001.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly my point.

Keeping in mind that the OP is wanting to know if the OMC 460 engine will work in a Ford F-100 truck, please explain while referencing post #4.

Understand that I'm not nick-picking you.... I'm just trying to understand your post #4.

Last edited:
You might need to look at a parts catalog for Ford pick ups of that era and see if it was originally offered in that pick up line and also if the parts needed can be found. 1978 was a long time ago!

Keeping in mind that the OP is wanting to know if the OMC 460 engine will work in a Ford F-100 truck, please explain while referencing post #4.

Understand that I'm not nick-picking you.... I'm just trying to understand your post #4.

rick he is saying marine exhaust won't fit....

rick he is saying marine exhaust won't fit....
Understood......... but who would even consider using the OMC 460 marine exhaust in a Ford F-100 pick up truck?

This is the comment that I was referring to:

I followed his post by saying:
The OP is asking if a Marine 460 KC engine can be made to work in a pickup of any kind or year.
He says that he has access to one (an OMC 460 Ford) for cheap, and he's thinking about putting it into 1978 Ford F-100.
If this engine can be made to work in a 1978 F-100, he would not be able to use a Marine center-rise exhaust system!

I hope that the OP is able to make it work!

if the 460 was used with open cooling system you might have to flush the truck's cooling system a bunch of times as sand and other crud finds it's way out of the block

yea, well im sure there will be issues as to how to modify the truck body so the outdrive will fit too ;-(..... on the other hand, I have a good 460 engine out of a lincoln continental setting in my shop that I would GIVE to some one just to get it out of my way....WITH the proper exhaust manifolds on it!

BTW, to the OP, the name king cobra refers to the "power package" that was installed in some boats (engine outdrive combination), but its specifically the outdrive that carried the king cobra model name.... the engine is a standard 460 engine (fitted with marine components) and will fit where ever you could make any other 460 engine fit....

Back