Logo

93 Evinrude 200 Wont Rev Past 3000 RPMS

Amazing. 3 of the magnets under the flywheel came loose and were crammed together on one side of the flywheel next to a magnet that held its ground. never seen that before.

However, that problem (loose magnets) is a common problem, even back in the early 80's.

When epoxying them back in place, use the small 3/8" OD rubber fuel tubing to keep them separated properly. Works for me.

They are back in and drying - installed the replacement stator anyway. Will hopefully get to test later this week. Will post what I hope to be happy results.

Hey Joe - quick question. Does your full advance timing method work on these engines as well? Or does that only work on the older engines? Considering everything going on I thought it prudent to check after putting it back together. Thanks again

The timing system I came up with pertains to the Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition system...... Timing sensors, magnets, powerpacks, self contained ignition.

Not for the optical ignition setup

I thought so - thanks. But I don’t think I have the optical set up - I think that started in 94-95? Either way, I didn’t think it would work. But worth checking.

Heres a flywheel pic as well from when it was taken off. - I also have a new power pack arriving tomorrow I’ll install if the issue isn’t solved with the magnets and stator. If all is well I’ll send it back40AC3103-2D44-4321-A4E0-6AEFB4620D2E.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll prepare for the flaming on this but... it works!

i had to do the rev test on land, which I know is a no-no. But it wouldn’t rev past 3400 on land before the flywheel fix - and now it does. Wasn’t able to get to the boat ramp.

For what hat it may be worth I just tapped it up after warm up to see if it would go then brought it down to idle.

Such a a great feeling though.

Thank you everyone for for the help. Hope to water test soon and confirm everything.

Last edited:
Water test done. 5500 RPMs wide open pushing this old mako 228 to 43 MPH and nice 3700 25 mph cruise.

tLDR - check your magnets and bonus points for checking all grounds.

Back