Logo

BF 60 A hiccup.

Snoekkop

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,
Me again,:),my problem with the two Honda bf 60 a outboards i am currently experiencing is:

At 3000 rpms and over the outboards have an intermittent hiccup, i changed the vst hp filter and cleaned the vst.

problem is still there .

please help, im at stumped, i have serviced the motors 10 hrs ago , where the folloeing was done.

replaced vst hp filter.
cleaned injectors.
cleaned vst.
cleaned throttle body,iac valve and map sensor.
removed plugs,they looked brownish pink. Im using 95 octane unleaded fuel.
did not replace plugs.
replace all oils and oil filter.

Thanks in advance

Checked spark and getting spark on all three cylinders.

how do you check ignition timing on an electronic ignition system?

sorry for sounding dumb , but have only done ignition timing on cars with points ,condenser and rotors before,using a timing light.

i dont see any ignition marks on the flywheel .

could it be the fuel pressure? I checked it at idle and getting 3 bar or 43 psi on the hp side.

checked fuel water separator,no water,checked lines and no cracks or leaks ,suggesting air getting into the system.

i am really stumped now. Only thing to do now is replace the ecm , but find it strange that both motors do exactly the same thing,could it be that both ecms are at fault simultaneously?

please help.

Timing is electronically controlled and cannot be adjusted . Clean your IAC valve filter if you haven't done it and check the regulator

Last edited:
I did clean the IAC valve filter and the map sensor, which regulator are you referring to? Voltage or pressure regulator on the VST?

Hook up an inductive timing light on the top plug wire , have somebody drive the boat while you stare at the light. while it hiccups the light will blink if it is a ignition problem

I did clean the IAC valve filter and the map sensor, which regulator are you referring to? Voltage or pressure regulator on the VST?

Fuel pressure regulator, you mentioned both motors are doing the same thing maybe check fuel supply from the tank. Connect a clear hose and check for air bubbles.

OK , will try and check if it is a fuel or ignition issue as you guys mentioned, will get back to you with results.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, tested fuel pressure and it is 3 bar(43PSI) at idle, tested coils and they all good according to the Ohm readings parameters from the Seloc manual.
Checked spark,and its good on all 6 spark plugs.

Also,anyone that has a Bf 60 A on this site ,maybe can answer my other question,sorry for going off track with this post. The outboards have a high pitch whistle at 5000 rpms,is this normal? Besides the sputtering that is (hiccups).

Hi ,i will make a video of the outboards running,how do i post it on for you guys to hear,maybe this will help with diagnosing the issues im having?

Hi guys,
Sorry for not coming back to you with an update.

I cleaned the VST and removed the HP pump and cleaned the screen at the bottom of the pump,it was partially blocked with a black dust like substance.
Assembled everything back and took it for a test.

the motors didnt hiccup as bad as before and run smooth at 5000 rpms on the tacho, no missing at those rpms .
At idle they run much better.

Before i took it out for a test,i replaced the spark plugs as well, when i got back from the test i pulled the plugs and they were whitish in colour.
My question is , are the motors running lean or is it a normal colour for the spark plugs on these motors?
No overheating or any alarms.
Removed O2 sensors and they were pinkish brown colour and not white as the spark plugs.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I did replace the complete fuel lines and bulbs, after cleaning the VST .

My concern is whether the motors are running lean, or is it normal(maybe a fuel additive in unleaded petrol) causing this white colour?

Any thoughts?, is it possible for the motors to be running lean ? I checked for vaccuum leaks around intake manifolds and no leaks, if it was running lean,shouldnt the O2 sensor compensate for this lean situation,and wouldnt the motors overheat?

The motors running good now, no alarms ,etc.

Are the BF60A motors lean burn motors,which could possibly cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Back