Logo

Aq130 3.0 revised

JimA82

Regular Contributor
So after a few weeks of rain, work, more rain then work and the Seahawks losing. I gotta good day to tear this thing apart. Carbs came off, got the manifold off, and removed the oil cooler. Then started on the head. Everything came apart surprisingly well, marked all the baggies as I removed the parts in order.

Popped off the head, and the gasket stayed on the block. Some water poured out the back end with lots of chunky corrosion at the water channels some almost completely blocked. Gasket came off easy, with a little prying. To me no real signs of a blown head gasket not that I would really know. Took the head & gasket to a auto shop which is not far from me, and they have worked on my vehicles good people. The guy looks and says the gasket and head look suspicious, suggested I take it to a machine shop to look at and get magnafluxed. <spell check that.

So I get to the one he suggested and it's a guy I sold a hot tub to 15 years ago, nice guy! He said the gasket is slightly blown by the number 1 cylinder and is fairly sure it is probably not the problem of water in the oil. But he said he could be wrong. He can resurface it and the manifold side for 60 bucks. The first head bolt I removed forward under the rocker arm where he mentioned, the threads were dry and rusted? The rest looked good with some oil on them.

I get home and look at the cylinders for scaring which the auto guy suggested and everything looks good, no gouges or scrapes. I took a shop vac and sucked the water passages out, general cleaning of crap and dug a bit in there with a long screwdriver, lots of crap in the btm water channels that seems like I could dig out for awhile. but they are not terrible I guess from water flow stand point. I still could not get the block drain to drain out, it just drips slowly.

I took the oil cooler apart and the o-rings are not round but kinda flattened out and odd shaped. And the o-ring at the end was flat. There was clean water inside the tube area and ends that drained out, but the internal oil from the btm of the oil cooler that came out was milk. Could the o rings actually be the issue? Still can't see how the water could get to the oil, o-rings bad or not?

Machine shop guy is crazy busy, but I think for the price and what he was telling me. Let him do what he does, order a new manifold and head gasket. Get the oil cooler checked, if bad try and find a replacement. (might be difficult) order a new o-ring kit for it if needed guessing so from what I see. Replacing the seals/impeller on the water pump just because, put it all back together and see what I get in the spring or sooner depending how fast things move.

Last note, the auto guy suggested get all the pistons at the same level in cylinders and fill with denatured alcohol and see if the "oil rings" are leaking. Ricardo thoughts on this, suggestions or any thoughts on the other wonderful things I came up with?

Ricardo. I know your probably saying don't waste the money on this, but were talking 150 to 200 maybe. I am willing to take one more chance and see what I get. Worse case I get water in the oil again, and at that point assuming it's a cracked block or not sure what else at that point?

Thanks again! Jim

I took the oil cooler apart and the o-rings are not round but kinda flattened out and odd shaped. And the o-ring at the end was flat. There was clean water inside the tube area and ends that drained out, but the internal oil from the btm of the oil cooler that came out was milk. Could the o rings actually be the issue?
Yes!

Machine shop guy is crazy busy, but I think for the price and what he was telling me. Let him do what he does, order a new manifold and head gasket. Get the oil cooler checked, if bad try and find a replacement. (might be difficult) order a new o-ring kit for it if needed guessing so from what I see.
O-rings will not go a second time around, and should NEVER be re-used!
One exception may be if the O-rings had just been installed, and the need to disassemble and re-assemble occurred quickly.

Last note, the auto guy suggested get all the pistons at the same level in cylinders and fill with denatured alcohol and see if the "oil rings" are leaking. Ricardo thoughts on this, suggestions or any thoughts on the other wonderful things I came up with?
You should have performed a cylinder leak-down test before removing the cylinder head.

Ricardo. I know your probably saying don't waste the money on this, but were talking 150 to 200 maybe. I am willing to take one more chance and see what I get. Worse case I get water in the oil again, and at that point assuming it's a cracked block or not sure what else at that point?
Jim, that is entirely up to you.

Your right I miss read that in my mind. I dropped the oil cooler off this morning and have not heard back from them yet. If the o-rings on the cooler are bad that would make my day, if the cooler itself is bad then I will have to find another.

Either way I am ordering a new manifold gasket, a new head gasket and a new seal kit for the cooler and maybe a oil cooler depending what they find.

Thanks again Ricardo.. Any other places to look for a oil cooler other then ebay?

So the good news is, the oil cooler even with old o-rings does not leak. The bad news is, the oil cooler is not the problem. Still no idea how the o-rings keep water out of the oil in the cooler and the nice old radiator guy didn't either? Looking at it, I think the o-rings are there to keep the water from leaking into the boat not from keeping water out of the oil? Anyhoo we move on.

Hey Ricardo, I dropped the head off today to the machine shop. We were yapping and he mentioned that he doesn't see any valve stem seals? I did some searching and I do not see anything that says there should be seals at the stem inside the springs, but then I am a rookie? Forgive my terminology but should there be seals there or where? And if the are not there where did or where could they go if they were there at all originally?

Thanks as always! Jim

So the good news is, the oil cooler even with old o-rings does not leak. The bad news is, the oil cooler is not the problem. Still no idea how the o-rings keep water out of the oil in the cooler and the nice old radiator guy didn't either? Looking at it, I think the o-rings are there to keep the water from leaking into the boat not from keeping water out of the oil? Anyhoo we move on.

With oil @ 40 psi and water @ 5 to 15 psi, oil would leak into water

Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't there then be oil in the out flow end of the oil cooler to the manifold? Would still love a reply on the valve stem seal thing if possible?

Last edited:
Back