Logo

1988 baretta

Jasonchace

Hello to all I’m new to these forums and to boating,I have a 1998 baretta with a Volvo Penta 2.5 liter aq171c,now the motor runs great in my driveway with my garden hose stuffed in the intake it discharges water great revs up sometimes it’s slow to return to idle but runs good,accept when I get it in the water it stalls out and has a hard time starting almost like it’s starved for gas,can someone please give me a stepping off point to try in figure it out I’ve tried everything I know how to do any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated,thanks for looking and for any info

When it stalls do you have fuel in the carb (pump throttle and see accelerator pump discharge) and have you checked for spark like with an inexpensive spark gap tester? What's the maintenance history on this engine for basic tun up items?

Thanks for the reply I do have fuel and spark so that’s the part I can’t figure out, and as far as maintence I know since I have owned it (about a month) all new fluids,plugs,wires and a bunch of time scratching my head.

Back