Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One sterndrive questions.

Trooper1

Hi, brand new here with a few questions. I have a mercruiser sterndrive with the serial number 0C5630195010198BS....can someone tell me if this is Gen 1 or Gen 2? and what year?
Also, I have discovered pink froth with a creamy look in my power steering reservoir...can someone tell me the steps to troubleshoot this? I have no PS fluid leak into the bilge, bilge is clean and dry, so can I assume the water is getting in through one of the trim cylinder seals or???
Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks.

so can I assume the water is getting in through one of the trim cylinder seals or???

Ayuh,..... It's much more likely the p/s cooler has been frozen with water in it, 'n is leakin' water into the fluid,....

I have worked on a lot of frozen boats over the decades. I have never seen a power steering cooler that froze and split the oil line inside.

Chances are it is just condensate or rain water in the PS pump. Get an oil exchange pump and suck out the fluid and replace it with PS fluid.

Now lets make sure you are not confusing the trim pump with the P/S pump, considering you are concerned that a trim cylinder leaked water in.

P/S pump is mounted on the engine and is belt driven and helps with steering assist only.

Trim pump has an electric motor and is not mounted to the engine and only lifts and lowers the outdrive. BTW there is an updated cap for the trim pump that does not have a vent hole in it to keep water out.

Might it not be simply normal foam from operation? Might looks like that after a run and is not leaking (or getting water in).

Jeff

In my years I have only had one that corroded thru and put water into the ps pump, but I did have one with freeze damage
click to enlarge

Back