Logo

Ford 302 Holman Moody with VP270 Seals and Bearings Order?

RWeichbrodt

Hello all, I am hoping someone can help me, I am restoring a 1972 Donzi 18x powered by a Ford 302 Holman Moody with a VP270 outdrive. I cannot for the life of me identify the proper seals and bearings (and in what order) for the spindle. Every diagram and schematic and picture I have come across (and there have been thousands) are all different from what I am working with. The mechanic gave me back a single bearing and clip, none of which I see in any of the part catalogues, the VP Seal and Bearing kit is useless as none of them sit right with housing. Attached are pics of the spindle and housing, I hope someone can help. Thank you.

IMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpg

............. I cannot for the life of me identify the proper seals and bearings (and in what order) for the spindle.
What you'll calling a spindle is the PDS.... primary drive shaft.

Every diagram and schematic and picture I have come across (and there have been thousands) are all different from what I am working with.
Yes, you would actually need a Donzi schematic for that system.

The mechanic gave me back a single bearing and clip, none of which I see in any of the part catalogues, the VP Seal and Bearing kit is useless as none of them sit right with housing.
That would be correct. None of these parts are Volvo Penta.

Attached are pics of the spindle and housing, I hope someone can help. Thank you.

View attachment 21849
The above is a single bearing PDS.
The single bearing will be at the AFT most area of the PDS.
The pilot nose will center itself within a crankshaft bushing of the correct ID.
YOU must install a crankshaft bushing for this type of PDS!

View attachment 21850
Since Donzi used an array of these Borg Warner -slash- PDS adapter housings, I cannot tell you which bearing or seal to use.
The AFT most bearing bore will give you the ID of the bearing.
The AFT most diameter of the PDS will give you the OD of the bearing.
Most any good bearing supplier will be able to provide the correct bearing.

If the BW/PDS adapter housing is ported for a grease fitting, you will want to use an open bearing.
In order to use an open bearing, there needs to be a seal surface just ahead of the bearing stop shoulder.... of which I do not see.
In that case, I would use a sealed bearing, and would replace it every 200 hours or so.

The AFT seal (regardless of the bearing style) will install in the non-conventional direction.
That seal's OD will be the same as the bearing OD, but the ID will need to match the OD of the female yoke.

The snap rings can be found at a good auto parts store...... NAPA, for example.

“the AFT seal installs in the non-conventional direction“ meaning that the seal lip and tension spring are visible when installed. This is because we want that seal to breach any excessive grease pressure or volume!

With a single bearing PDS using a sealed bearing, it is not an issue.

Back