Logo

WTB knock sensor kit for old school SBC

If the tanks have been exposed to ethanol fuel then there's not much that can be done except to replace the tanks. The E10 will have attacked the fiberglass resin and gelcoat to the extent that it will have lost a good deal of structural integrity. The tanks cannot be coated or otherwise repaired due to the failure of the resins...adding a coating would fall off quickly. Any fuel that's in these tanks is no good because it's full of the dissolved phthalates that will precipitate out of the gasoline emulsion and coat the intake valves, pistons, and gunk up the exhaust valves. He will be tearing down this rebuild in a matter of weeks.
The entire fuel delivery system will need to go in the trash along with the carbs and/or injectors.
This is hard news to swallow if true and the boat owner will be facing the Big Bill that many other Bertram and Hatteras owners have had to cope with.
Unsure about Oz but here in the USA insurance has typically not covered this catastrophe.

Chris, ill put the question to him, but I dont think its the issue.

In my experience the ethanol thing tends to glue up the intake system, not cause detonation.

I believe I may be considered an expert on ethanol in Bertram polyester fuel tanks after my own issue with my own 23 Bertram.

Yes we downunder were also effected by the ethanol eating polyester resin thing. it happened to me about 10 yrs ago.

My SBC seemed to be sort of seized, well it turned over but broke several inlet push rods before firing.

I posted my concern on this very site back then, it turned into a 180 + response post, which im told is a record. If you look close at my avatar you will see my inlet valve stem glued to the guide by black glossy stuff which is hardened polyester resin after being liquified by ethanol.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?375553-1988-350-SBC-stuck-inlet-valves

I dont think its the issue but I will raise it with detonation guy, thanks for suggesting it.

Last edited:
Back