Logo

No fire to coil on a Johnson 50 special, 1996 model

joe boater

What the special means I have no clue but here is the problem. I just need a little reassurance I am on the right track. My motor has a four post coil. Two post for the spark plug wires and two post for the leads going to the trigger under the flywheel. At least that's what I read looking at the wiring schematic. I guess the next step is to pull the fly wheel and put a ohms meter on the stater and trigger. I just want to know if I am on the right track or is there something else on the side of the motor that could hinder spark getting from stater/trigger before I go to the trouble of yanking the flywheel? I mean it looks straight forward by the wiring diagram but this is the first marine engine I have ever worked on.

To test the coil..... switch a trigger lead from the powerpack that fires a spark plug lead at the coil... to... that non firing plug trigger lead.

If that non firing plug lead now fires, then obviously the coil is okay.

Check the rubber electrical connectors as the pins/sockets have been known to back out slightly which results in a poor intermittent type connection.

The triggers, etc under the flywheel have external connectors whereas ohm readings etc can be taken.

Thanks guys but I have since fixed that with a new power pack. I have swapped out all the gas out with new non ethanol fuel and put a new hose and primer bulb. Swapped out the plugs and still no run. It's getting plenty of fuel, plenty of spark and all the air it can suck in. I am my wits end with this motor. Did a compression check today and got 150 on top cylinder and 145 or just a hair over 145 on the bottom cylinder. This beats all I have ever seen. I have been a mechanic most of my life. If not working at Pete Dye golf courses to building LS engines and tuning them with HP tuners and this little two stroke has got me broke down like a double barrel and giving me both at the same time. I am going to look at the neutral safety switch next and see what up there. I have a new fuel primer solenoid on the way and I will keep you posted. Seriously I am done with it. I have feelers out around the Bedford Area and I am trying to get a marine mechanic to fix it for a AR15 in 6.8 so he can hunt with it. I build those to and do work on 1911's as well. Just to be done with it and go fishing before the season is gone. I am going to take take the carbs off tomorrow and check the floats and needle and seats just for good measure. The engine will start up and then you think you have got it whooped and then it shuts down and won't start again. Aggravating little SOB.

The neutral safety switch has nothing to do with spark to the plugs.-----Does this motor have the simple fuel pump on the top cylinder ?----If so have you looked at the diaphragm ?-----Looked at the reed valves behind the carburetors ?

Back