Logo

290 gauge issue

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I have an old 290 outdrive with a square digital tilt indicator gauge. The gauge is flashing -88 no matter what position the drive is in. Any way to trouble shoot this thing?
Robert

At the top of the collar steering fork is a transmitter for the trim gauge.

Look at the plastic rack gear (attached to the helmet) that operates the smaller gear that operates the transmitter.
Make sure that the rack gear is OK, and that these two gears are phased correctly.

Make sure that this circuit from the transmitter to the helm is good.

With key on with a helper watching the gauge, loosen the rack gear and slide it FWD and AFT. It should be rotating the smaller gear that operates the transmitter unit. The gauge should show the change in position.

As far as I can tell when I lift the engine manually the small black gear moves like it should (I’ll recheck when I have help and do it with the actual trim switch) The other issue I am having right now is the tilt up switch won’t do anything unless I hit the override button. It used to trim up a bit before stopping then I would hit the override button to trim all the way up. Does that help the troubleshooting or are those two separate issues?
Robert

Another thing. I unplugged the sender and there is three wires. I tried all combinations possible jumping two wires at a time with no change to the gauge. Bad gauge?
robert

Bad gauge?

Possibly. That, or the sender itself is bad!

Try disconnecting the main engine harness/hull harness connector. Plug it back in. Repeat.
See if that regains circuit continuity to the gauge.

I am having the same issue with my boat. Any update on which part was the problem here or if/how the issue was fixed?

Andy

If it’s reading -88 then the gauge is probably the problem. I fixed it with a new (used) one. If it’s reading something different (-50s or something) then it’s the sender. I’m in that situation now. Had my lower unit replaced and the new one has a bad potentiometer. Got a new one and can plug it in and it works. Unfortunately I can’t remove the bad one because it won’t come all the way out without hitting the top of the outdrive hole in transom. Anyone have a solution other than removing the outdrive?

Robert

Thanks Robert. I was afraid that was the case. Those gauges seem to be fairly hard to come by and pretty pricey, even used. Did you manage to find a square one or did you change to the round style? Just curious, any chance your battery polarity got switched around the time the gauge went out?

I actually had that same problem with my trim sender. I very carefully used an oscillating multi-tool cutter to trim just a little, 1/4” maybe, of the transom above the sensor. That was just enough for me to get the sender out. You could probably also use a chisel with a bit more difficulty.

Andy

I actually have some electronics experience, I took it apart and did some testing, but its mostly integrated circuits and I can't find a circuit diagram for the thing anywhere online so my attempt didn't amount to much. I accidentally hooked my battery up backwards for a split second at the end of the season last year while in a hurry during winterizing and I think that might have been what did it in, but could just be age too.

Back