Logo

2005 BF15D5 constant fuel flow out of telltale

Chowboy

Hello everyone, 1st time poster and 1st time boat owner here. Seems like theres a pretty good community here with people willing to try and help. I’m glad I found this forum and am happy to be apart of it.

I recently purchased a 16’ western with a 2005 BF15 SHSA. The PO stayed it hasn’t ran in a few years and the water pump was shot. I gave it a tune up and hoped for the best. I started by replacing the LU oil, impeller, Oil & filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel assembly line (from external tank to motor), thermostat and all the associated gaskets and seals with Honda parts.

After the tuneup, I realized there was a constant flow of fuel coming out, near the telltale. Yes, there’s water coming out of 1 hose, but definitely gas coming out the other. Gas immediately spills out when I squeeze the primer bulb and continues to spill out for a few seconds after I shutdown the motor. Again, it is a constant flow of fuel, not a dribble. I disconnected all things pertaining to the fuel line, even letting the motor run out of gas in hopes to release the pressure. Unfortunately, that did not resolve the issue.

I'm assuming there’s a stuck float in the carb, but was wondering if maybe I’m missing something or if anyone had any suggestions before I order a carb kit online. Thanks in advance.

cheers!!

Hi Chowboy,
Welcome! We're happy you're here!

First thing that comes to mind for this, if the engine runs ok otherwise, is that your carburetor fuel chamber drain scew is either loose or missing. No gas should come from that hose until the drain screw is backed out, even if the float was stuck. They sometimes vibrate loose and even fall out if not tightened securely.

That drain is VERY important to you in that, if you use it regularly to drain the carb anytime the engine is going to set for more than a week or two without being used. Keeping the carb dry during inactivity will help keep deposits from settling out of the fuel and fouling the carb which would require disassembly and cleaning.

Check that out and let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response jgmo. Yes, the engine seem to run fine otherwise. It never really sputtered or shows any other concerning signs besides the constant fuel flow. The boat is at my buddies house, but I will check out that drain screw as soon as I can and report back. Again thanks for taking the time to respond!

Good news update! Apologies for the delay, but life always keeps us busy. Had a look at the drain plug screw today and sure enough, it had vibrated loose (well done jgmo). Tightened her up and the fuel overflow stopped immediately. It’s funny how one little screw can cause so much grief...I guess anything can when your as green as I am. In a way I’m glad it happened as I learned more about the motor (while researching the problem) and the importance of this screw, especially when preparing for storage. Thanks again jgmo, you saved the day and my headache. Hope to get her on the water soon. I appreciate the knowledge and your willingness to help. Cheers!

Back