Logo

Question on jet sizes and carb bowl 1982 60hp Johnson

revenge22

Contributing Member
Hi guys just got done servicing my older 60 that was sitting in my collection gathering dust. did the carbs, had no spark and DVA test results had me put in a new stator. Runs perfect BUT i'm not happy with the bottom fuel bowl part # 344271. It weeps fuel , even with new gaskets. Also, it wasnt sitting flush with the body like the top carb. It really had to be screwed in tight to get it to seal at all. Not good! I tried to see if it was hanging up anywhere, but no luck. Didn't think to check if it was warped. Does this sound normal? can you sand them down ? how can aluminum warp anyway?
Also, the only difference between this year and the more powerful 1984 version that i can find are the high speed orifices. Mine has the 55d's and the 84's had 56d's. Can I remove the airbox and go up to the 56d for more power?

Why do you say that the 1984 version of your 60 HP is more powerfull ?-----Aluminum casting warp all the time.------All outboard cylinder heads I take off motors are warped !!----Your new gaskets came from where ?----Local dealer or somewhere else like AMAZON / China ?

Last edited:
How can aluminum warp?... Beats the hell outta me! However, if a leak is obvious at the gasket area, and the gasket is new/good..................

I'd suggest a fine grade wet/dry sandpaper (black), laid on a flat surface (glass preferably), a bit of mineral spirits sprayed upon it, then move that float chamber over that surface in a figure 8 movement... just enough times that you can see where the entire sealing surface has been machined.

Awesome thanks for the info much appreciated! I try to only use OEM stuff in my motors, and these gaskets are no exception but i'm sure its not them. as you guys say, its warped somehow. Just puzzles me because the aluminum can't get much over 150 degrees under the cowl. maybe the last guy overheated it.

The 1984 i was told was more powerful than the 82' as it was rated at the prop. Looking more closely, the 84's had the newer style carbs with a primer system and no manual choke. those carbs must be larger than my 82's, or flow better but still stumps me because the exhaust, blocks, heads and reeds are all the same.

Are you 100% sure the 84 model was rated at the prop ?

no it was something i heard. The 1985 has smaller 51d jets for the mains, but yet again a different carb but all else the same. Don't smaller fuel jets mean less fuel and power, all else equal? Weird!

Back