Logo

recomended repairs or bull

JJP301

I dropped my bf200 at a repair marina. I was told to be safe they should check the cutless bushing and the thermostat housing for where while it's there. Is there any truth to this?

Not sure what a "cutless" bushing is, but if they mean the mid-shaft bushing, then yes, it should definitely be checked and rechecked every time the lower leg is taken off, say, for an impeller change. The pre-mid-2007 200's and 225's had a problem with it failing and eating a hole through the lower cowling.

As for the t-stat housing, yes to that too, assuming you're boating in saltwater. They can get very corroded under the t-stat and the corrosion will eat a hole through the water jacket.

Bottom line - they're giving you good advice.

In my opinion it may be true or half true. It would help if you had stated why you "dropped it off".

First off, cutlass bearings are typically associated with inboard engines driving a shaft that exits the hull of the vessel. But, the larger Honda outboards do have a bearing supporting the mainshaft at about midpoint of the extension case. There have been issues with some of those bearings so perhaps that's what they were referring to?

Additionally, outboards DO develope problems with corrosion in the thermostat housings and catching that early and dealing with it is something I could agree with.
The thermostats themselves are too often neglected as well and keeping them in good working condition or replacing if needed is critical to your engine's longevity.

So, these things could be perfectly legitimate IF there is a need to address them.

It's really up to you, as the owner, to be aware and beware of these aspects of your equipment and do your best to ask enough questions to protect your interests.

If you ask those questions...why, where is that...what does that do....how long...how much.... guarantee?....but aren't comfortable with their answers, you should probably look for another repair facility that you can better communicate with.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The name Cutless is a registered Trademark owned by Duramax Marine the name refers to a molded rubber bearing made by Duramax Marine . used in the shipping industry .

Back