Logo

carb rebuild kits

steve_m

Hello. I am curious if anyone has tried the Chinese rebuild kits?
Are they a worthwhile purchase or is it advisable to stick with the OMC/BRP kits?

Thanks. Steve

You mean those cheap kits on xxxx? Seems like I've read some negative comments over at the Antique Outboard Club's forum. Stuff like gaskets that swell up (?) Never tried any myself.

They are junk. I bought one and the needle and seat did not fit wrong thread size. This was for a 15 hp evinrude not uncommon by any means.

They are junk. I bought one and the needle and seat did not fit wrong thread size. This was for a 15 hp evinrude not uncommon by any means.

Exactly. I bought one to redo my 4W75A and the valve seat was the wrong thread.
Everything else seemed OK except the plastic washer that goes under the gland nuts
was also a bit big, though usable.
Buyer beware.

ditto. bought 6 for my 225 oceanrunner. the gaskets on 3 of them (0-RING type) didn't seal properly. had to re-use then ordered the OEM BRP kits.

I can't help but wonder why our government is dealing with those treacherous SOB's in the first place. If not for the United States in WWII, the entire country would be speaking Japanese... then in the early 1950's they invaded North Korea with their version of "Pearl Harbor" to invade North Korea without warning to slaughter our young servicemen, which in essence and in actuality, they switched from being an ally to our enemy in the blink of ones eye. A race of honorable people who are honorable only to themselves... to all others... beware!

I have a great association with Chinese Americans and Chinese Philippinos. Also Spanish Phiippinos. A Spanish Philippino friend of mine who owns Paradise Island Resort on Samal Island Philippines, says he is "ashamed" to go back to Spain. He is not only discriminated but disgusted by the quality and humility of his homeland people. Our close friends who have a small Chinese food restaurant here in Duluth have only been back once in 35 years. They don't like the people there. That's why they came to this country.
When I'm in the Philippines I almost have to use Chinese parts but often time I send to the US and I have my brother send parts from here. Needless to say I recommend buying american-made parts whenever you can.

Last edited:
Its da tree huggers fault here in the USA that the kits fail..we use ethanol mix!!! Other country's use E50/E85 in their vehicles but doubt its used in marine applications.

Back