Logo

Starter running with switch off

NitroB

I have a 1991 Evinrude 115hp, low hours. The starter was still running when disengaged from the flywheel when the engine is running and the key is turned off and taken out. It his has happened before a few months ago and has started again, I have tried a new starter solenoid and it would try to start as soon as I hook the battery cables up. I put the old solenoid back on and has worked fine until now. If its not the solenoid could it be the ignition switch. Also I noticed my tach would work then stop working for a few seconds then start working again.

Perhaps check the wiring harness from the control box to the motor.-----Look for evidence of high heat after removing a piece of the outer cover.

Yes it could be a defective switch.-----You have to do the simple inspection.-----I can't touch your boat from where I sit.

I have a 1991 Evinrude 115hp, low hours. The starter was still running when disengaged from the flywheel when the engine is running and the key is turned off and taken out. It his has happened before a few months ago and has started again, I have tried a new starter solenoid and it would try to start as soon as I hook the battery cables up. I put the old solenoid back on and has worked fine until now. If its not the solenoid could it be the ignition switch. Also I noticed my tach would work then stop working for a few seconds then start working again.

More likely to be the switch than th solenoid I would have thought, but i would have tested both.

Check the switch thoroughly .... if you find the switch is Ok start looking at the wiring

A new starter solenoid sticking?... Not likely.

More likely a internal flaw within the ignition switch "B" (battery" terminal to "S" (solenoid) terminal.

With the starter cranking on its own, remove the wire from the "S" terminal. If the cranking stops immediately, the switch is flawed.

Back