Logo

Upper End Cap Assembly Removal

djag68

Hello, New to the site. I am doing a powerhead swap from a 1980 40 hp Mercury to a slightly newer 35hp powerhead. I need to swap the upper end cap assembly in order for the stator support bracket, trigger and stator to transfer over. my question is can I just pull the end assembly with with a puller against the crank shaft using the threads for the stator bracket?

Last edited:
Yes but... As I recall, the crankshaft on those is not the same; one is tapered, the other splined. Before going any further, I suggest you pull the flywheel and take a look.

Jeff

Ok, Thanks, I already have the flywheel off. The shafts are both tapered, just different end caps. My main concern is I didn’t want to have to split the block open if it wasn’t necessary.

Last edited:
Okay. It's hard to pull the bearing carrier out if you don't loosen the top two bolts on each side. (Contrary to popular opinion, re-tightening those bolts will re-establish the seal.) A thin putty knife can be used to initially lift the assembly up, but be carful not to destroy those copper shims. And when you can get a screw driver in there, be sure to pry it up evenly on all sides, a little at a time.

I'd be a good idea to change the top seal at the same time.

Jeff

PS: It's possible the endplay of the crankshaft might be different with the new carrier. You can measure this with a dial indicator. Lift the entire motor from the crankshaft, zero the indicator, lower motor back down and gently tap the flywheel. The reading will be the new endplay. You're looking for about 10 to 20 thousandths.

Back