Logo

90 Evinrude 150HP - Connecting these two wires gives me the constant alarm. One is frm Oil Reservoir

zkidd91

Going through an outboard that hasn't been used since 2005:

When I connect these two wires, upon turning the ignition key ON (NOT cranking the engine/just turning ON the ignition), I get the Continuous Horn alarm. I thought the continuous horn indicated Overheating??? This confuses me because the engine hasn't been started yet.

The black wire lead goes to the OIL reservoir. (It is one of the two wire leads from the OIL reservoir. The other black wire lead from the reservoir, goes to the engine's GROUND screw.) The brown wire lead is taped up in the wire loom along with all the other wires in that BIG RED Connector. (ref. pic) I'm not sure where that goes to?

IMG_8548 3.jpg

Has anyone experienced this? :confused:
Of course, when I disconnect those wires, turn the ignition ON, the Horn does its normal "hello" short beep once, to let me know it's working.....then I start the engine, no problem.

*NOTE: The VRO seems to be working by pumping oil. I ran it for 3 hours the other day in the bay and noticed the level of oil was LOWER afterwards, so the VRO pump is working...i believe. ;) As a precaution, I'm also running pre-mix in the fuel tank.

Thank you for your responses.

Connecting wires here and there with no knowledge of where those wires lead to is a road to financial disaster, possible fire, explosion, etc. Fortunately the two wires you connected simply ground out the circuitry of the warning horn which results in a constant steady sound.

Do what you will... BUT... I strongly suggest you obtain a wiring diagram for whatever engine you may be tinkering with before continuing on with that habit. :)

Connecting wires here and there with no knowledge of where those wires lead to is a road to financial disaster, possible fire, explosion, etc. Fortunately the two wires you connected simply ground out the circuitry of the warning horn which results in a constant steady sound.

Do what you will... BUT... I strongly suggest you obtain a wiring diagram for whatever engine you may be tinkering with before continuing on with that habit. :)

ha! financial disaster no doubt. $$$
I should say these wires were meant to be connected. They are the only single wire leads in the area.
The shadetree mechanic that looked the boat over disconnected it AND the VRO plug w/o really checking if it worked or not. He says premix w/o any questions...

Getting the wiring diagram this morning. :D
i'm thinkin it might be the reservoir level sensor. We shall see.

https://youtu.be/azesgAGVrfE

Turned out to be the sensor inside of the Oil Tank Pickup. Nothing was obstructing the small float pin on the pickup unit but I guess the sensor was bad somewhere within the unit. Where it attaches to the Oil reservoir. The sensor was grounding out everytime I connected the orange wire inside the engine. Thus triggering the constant alarm.

Ordered [FONT=&quot]176362 OMC 1.8 Gal Oil Tank Pickup Kit for Evinrude/Johns[/FONT][FONT=&quot]on Outboard [/FONT]5008618 off of Ebay. Someone had some new/old stock at a discounted price!(You'll need the new donut gasket. The original was square shaped.)
Installed it and we're back in business.
:D

Back