Logo

Rewind starter????

Redfisher85

I recently purchased an 85 20hp johnson with no rewind starter..I ordered part # 388836 new old stock ...doesn't fit current flywheel not sure of part # but there is a 1 1/2 " gap between flywheel and rewind assembly..I figured it was the wrong flywheel so I ordered a new one part #583002 I have not installed it yet but the panels on the rewind assembly are on the outside of this fly5and dont grab anything...my question is what flywheel do I need to make the rewind assembly I have work??

So, your motor is a remote electric start model? (model number ?) Is there even enough room under the hood for a recoil? Or an opening for the rope?

I dont believe so...it has no starter or flywheel with teeth guy was starting it with a pull rope. I'm trying to add the recoil starter back to the motor.

Its is a recoil model...hole in cowl and mounting bushings for the recoil assembly. No model # on transom bracket..I was told 1984 20hp but 1st yr. I can find on 20hp is 85...should be interchangeable parts regardless...just looking to find out if the flywheel I purchased and the new old stock recoil assembly will work together and if not what flywheel do I need. I'd post pics but nothing shows after I upload

Remove the 3 mounts for the recoil.----Problem solved.-----Or if you do not like that get the recoil with the short legs !----Your choice.

I tried that, still to tall...the recoil is the original that's supposed to be on the motor before they went to the black model its 3 revisions back...and it's never been on a motor new old stock..so I'd like to just get the correct flywheel..I'm assuming they were taller than the ones I currently have.

Oh well there were starters with short legs and long legs.--------This should be an easy fix for an experienced shop !!-----That recoil assembly does not show the " start in neutral " interlock.----So something is wrong with the part # you ordered for an 85 model.----You bought you parts where ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, but I've already gone that route they wanted 643.00 for the rewind starter assembly and 725.70 for the flywheel If I wanted new ..not used parts ...I found new old stock for 75.00 for the recoil and 55.00 for the flywheel same parts I ordered. They were ordering from this site. All of the internals I've replaced already with new parts from the bottom up..motor runs like new these are the last pieces of the puzzle.

The rewind starter you have does not appear to be for an 85 model.-----Picture from the top of it showing the nuetral interlock mounting location for the cable ??

I bought them locally from a Johnson/evenrude repair shop that just recently went out of business after 30yrs we cross referenced the part numbers and 0388836 (the one I have) 0395450 and 0398036 were interchangeable I just gave up the start in neutral and the second starting pawl. Other than that they are supposed to be the same from what I saw..he had the the housing for the others but not a complete assembly they were all the same height when we had them on the table.

Back