Logo

upper shift shaft removal 1979 40hp

Phillpc

can someone give me pointers on removing the upper shift shaft for replacement. motor is #5174633 40hp . the pins on the original are broken off where it connects to shift linkage. I have replacement part on the way. From what I can see, it appears the top pot metal part is roll pinned to the shaft? would I have to replace the whole unit, or can I just replace the top portion? Do I have to remove the power head?

Thank you or your help

So I got the new upper shift rod delivered today. There a few 2 pins and or legs to it. I think the longer one goes to the shift linkage. What does the other one connect to, I don't se anything for it to connect.

Well took it all apart, got the power head off, changed out the upper shift shaft and put it all back together. Hooked p the water hose and tried to start it. It only fired once but didn't start. Cranked on it awhile and primed bulb some more , still no start. I had to adjust the remote shifter and throttle cable quite a bit . To compensate for the previous engineering on the broken shift shaft.

I'm wonder if adjusting the throttle cable may have change the spark advance or timing in some way? I took boat to lake last weekend and it started easy and ran like a top every time I turned the key. Now it won't start at all.

Most likely you crapped up the carb (did you tip the pH upside down?) or fouled the plugs in trying to refire it. I suggest a shot of ether (starting fluid) to get her going. Had to do that myself just yesterday on my Mark 78, which is normally a good starting motor. It happens.

Jeff

I laid it on its side to clean it up some. I'm going out this morni g to Check wires and make sure I didn't pull any loose. It does not act like it is firing at all

Went out this morning primed bulb and turned key, no choke or anything, it busted right off? That's great news to me , but now I wonder when is it not going to start next time?

Back