Logo

1962 283 owen flagship cooling system

pietro

Contributing Member
So I am at the end of a restoration, and need some infos. first of all, is there any cooling system scheme online? I am in need of pipes replacement and as some are missing I do not want to do any mess. what about oil cooling? Then, what generator and starter?
Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Need more information.

Is this is a GM SBC 283 cu in engine?
Are you wanting to do a Raw Water cooling system?
Are you wanting to do a Closed Cooling system? Full or Half system?

As for an alternator, you should have many choices. The Delco 10si is very affordable and works well.

As for a starter motor, the flywheel size will determine which one you'll need...... you most likely have the 153 tooth.
Next would be a non-gear reduction -vs- a HTGR/PMGR unit. I would suggest the HTGR/PMGR unit.
Do you need an In-board style, or can you use a cylinder block mounted one?

thanks Rick,
yes is a 283cu
I wish a raw water one, just understand how to connect new pipes
Alternator and starter ok
what about oil? doesn't the 283 has any cooler?

Are you willing to update this and get away from the old Chriscraft configuration?

Do you have enough space in front of the crankshaft pulley to allow for a Johnson crankshaft pump?

shopping

Unfortunately, with that goofy ChrisCraft flywheel forward/front crankshaft drive system, you will not be able to use the Johnson F5b-9 or F6B-9 crankshaft pump.
Unless..... you are able to make an adapter, and mount the pump to the crankshaft flange bolt pattern.

do you think that the original raw water pump is not yet reliable? must have a brass impeller, surely hard to find as spare part. what about a neoprene new impeller? seems to be 10077k sherwood, right?

do you think that the original raw water pump is not yet reliable?
I can't say. I know that the OEM system is rather complex over what it needs to be.

must have a brass impeller, surely hard to find as spare part.
No.... the impeller would be very similar to any other seawater pump impeller.

what about a neoprene new impeller? seems to be 10077k sherwood, right?
Sherwood shows this:
shopping

"So I am at the end of a restoration, and need some infos. first of all, is there any cooling system scheme online? I am in need of pipes replacement and as some are missing I do not want to do any mess. what about oil cooling? Then, what generator and starter?
Thanks a lot "

It' a restoration, not needing any of your comments (such as "goofy") or suggestions of non authentic accessories.

bla bla bla bla.........It' a restoration, not needing any of your comments (such as "goofy") or suggestions of non authentic accessories.

Please re-read pietro's comments.
pietro said:
what about a neoprene new impeller? seems to be 10077k sherwood, right?
Since pietro has the twin gear seawater pump, yet he has asked this question, it would appear that he's willing to deviate from OEM!

Pietro..... are you wiling to deviate, or are you wanting to keep all things OEM?

mcomm, a restoration can mean several things, as in an "original restoration" (bringing the boat back to original factory condition), or a "restoration" (bringing the boat back to life).

Regarding my "goofy" comment, I'm not aware of that twin gear seawater pump being used in today's Marine world.
I also see it as being a mandatory component, not an accessory!

mcomm, let's help pietro, rather than stirring the pot in his thread here!
Fair enough????

I have the same engine with the brass gear pump. It will not prime. How do you remove it off the rear of the motor and who can repair them? I think they have a plastic gear that runs off something, is that correct?

Back