Logo

383 Inboard(V-Drive)build

Rick- This is the crankshaft I have.
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/sca...d-steel-standard-weight-crankshaft-41810.html
It is for an internally balanced engine. I’m going to have Carl balance my rotating assembly when I’m ready. I’m going to ship the components I already have up to him and I’ll have the new Mahle pistons shipped directly to him. One of the reasons he pushed for the 6 inch rods was that he said it made balancing the assembly simpler. He also was of the opinion that 5.7 inch rods wore a lot on the cylinder walls. The balancer he recommended is a neutrally balanced unit. I’m wondering, would it be that with internal balancing I wouldn’t need the larger balancer required on the externally balanced 400 sbc and the old style 383s that used a modified 400 production crank?

Dieter- For some reason Edelbrock is really proud of that one.:rolleyes: I guess it’s because it only fits Vortec heads. I know Jegs and Assualt both make their own, more economical versions but I’ve read nothing but good things about the Edelbrock Performer intake so I think I’ll bite the bullet. In addition to the corrosion protection the black powder coating provides as you pointed out, I think it’s pretty bad ass looking to boot.:cool:

Last edited:
Rick- This is the crankshaft I have.
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/scat...aft-41810.html
That is a very nice crankshaft.
I see that you are going with an older cylinder block (2 pc rear main seal crankshaft).
If you go with a later 1 pc rear main seal cylinder block, a roller cam becomes an easy option.
The additional crankshaft balancing can be taken care of with the flywheel.

It is for an internally balanced engine. I’m going to have Carl balance my rotating assembly when I’m ready. I’m going to ship the components I already have up to him and I’ll have the new Mahle pistons shipped directly to him.
Just curious.... what is your piston dish volume, your cylinder head chamber volume and your target for a Quench dimension?

Here are a few online static compression ratio calculators.

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/compstaticcalc.html

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Keep in mind that the std SBC deck height is 9.025".
Many pistons will sit .025" in the hole.... or what we call a piston deck height of .025".
If you shoot for a Quench dimension of lets say .045" (.038" for the 5.7 build), that would require a compressed head gasket thickness of only .020".
If so, I would make sure that you can find a .020" compressed thickness head gasket.

(the guys building a 6.3L HP Auto version will typically shoot for a .060" +/- quench dimension, of which is excessive for the Marine build)

One of the reasons he pushed for the 6 inch rods was that he said it made balancing the assembly simpler. He also was of the opinion that 5.7 inch rods wore a lot on the cylinder walls.
I should say he was of the opinion 5.7 inch rods caused the pistons to wear a lot on the cylinder walls
Understood.
It's almost as though it's the double-edged sword.
Keep in mind that:
.... the piston skirts are shorter when the longer rods are used.
.... the piston skirts are longer when the shorter rods are used.
.... the Marine engine does not turn high RPM like it's cousin the HP Auto version.

The balancer he recommended is a neutrally balanced unit. I’m wondering, would it be that with internal balancing I wouldn’t need the larger balancer required on the externally balanced 400 sbc and the old style 383s that used a modified 400 production crank?
When the GM 400 crankshaft is used in the 6.2 or 6.3 build, the main journals are turned down in order to fit into the 5.7L block.
The 400 balancer is typically used with the GM 3.750" crankshaft.
I don't know what the CNC Motorsports crank requires.

Here are some interesting notes by Jeff Smith who is a well known authority on the SBC engine.
Keep in mind that Jeff is primarily into the HP Auto versions, not necessarily the Marine versions.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-0808-383-stroker-small-block-chevy/

Further into the article, he touches on the SBC stroker and connecting rod lengths.

Read the section title: Internal Vs. External Balance

Jeff favors the older 2 pc rear main seal crankshafts.
Since our Marine versions require a flywheel (apposed to a flex plate), the 1 pc rear main seal crank/block are not a deal breaker.

NOTE: there is mention of the 6.2L build (377 cu in) using the 400 cylinder block (4.155" bore) and the 5.7L crankshaft (3.480" stroke).
That data will not apply to what you are doing!

Have fun and keep us informed.

Ugh three pages of Ricardo guff, how unfortunate for the OP. Well, I guess he's drunk the Ricardo Kool-aid and bought into the whole Rick-is-smarter-than-all-the-marine-engineers-at-Mercruiser hogwash. Good luck with the rebuild, honey. You'll be chasing ghosts on this for a while when the best approach is to go to your friendly Mercruser dealer and buy a shiny new power package and have them install it for you. You will be boating and not bitching.
When was the last time you had an engine rebuilt by a machine shop? You know it will cost two to three times what a remanufactured engine with trade will, don't you?

Ugh three pages of Ricardo guff, how unfortunate for the OP. Well, I guess he's drunk the Ricardo Kool-aid and bought into the whole Rick-is-smarter-than-all-the-marine-engineers-at-Mercruiser hogwash. Good luck with the rebuild, honey. You'll be chasing ghosts on this for a while when the best approach is to go to your friendly Mercruser dealer and buy a shiny new power package and have them install it for you. You will be boating and not bitching.
When was the last time you had an engine rebuilt by a machine shop? You know it will cost two to three times what a remanufactured engine with trade will, don't you?

This is the type of rude and disruptive post that is left by a disgruntled member who perhaps;

1..... did not read post #1, whereby Bracker (the OP) had decided upon a 22 cc Reverse Dome piston (a Q/E style piston, by the way),
does not understand the advantages of the SBC Q/E build for Marine use,
3..... has never build a SBC Marine version,
4..... is not capable of thinking out-side-of-the-box,
5..... believes that any engine that has been re-manufactured is not going to hold up,
6..... apparently doesn't know that we are NOT in the Mercruiser forum section,
7..... has deliberately chased down one of my thread contributions (in a forum section that he seldom frequents) as to simply disrupt the OP's thread!

I am curious as to how a post, like the above, adds any value to Bracker's thread!

By the way.... this is an actual quote from 12-31-19l
o2batsea said:
Ha ha ha ha ha I don't know where you get the idea that I'm some kind of professional! Not.

Bracker and Jon Allen, carry on..... you're both on the right track!

Last edited:
Hi Guys.

Glad to see this discussion active again.

Sad to see the bickering....

Don't recall reading anywhere that this motor was to be built on a budget.

Clearly Bracker has the funds to put something together that we can all learn from.

The thrill is in the build. Much like fishing for some of us.

I figure the cost of keeping and maintaining my boat vs the amount of fish I caught last year made for some very

expensive fish!

I easily could have gone to the fish market....

Let's respect each other's opinions.

I as well as many would like to see the results of Bracker's build and some real world performance numbers!

Jon Allen

This is the type of rude and disruptive post that is left by a disgruntled member who perhaps;

1..... did not read post #1, whereby Bracker (the OP) had decided upon a 22 cc Reverse Dome piston (a Q/E style piston, by the way),
does not understand the advantages of the SBC Q/E build for Marine use,
3..... has never build a SBC Marine version,
4..... is not capable of thinking out-side-of-the-box,
5..... believes that any engine that has been re-manufactured is not going to hold up,
6..... apparently doesn't know that we are NOT in the Mercruiser forum section,
7..... has deliberately chased down one of my thread contributions (in a forum section that he seldom frequents) as to simply disrupt the OP's thread!

I am curious as to how a post, like the above, adds any value to Bracker's thread!

By the way.... this is an actual quote from 12-31-19l

Bracker and Jon Allen, carry on..... you're both on the right track!

The usual Trumpian bully tactics. Assumes facts not in evidence but presents this as truths. Yer guff is well documented and virtually every professional marine mechanic on this forum has weighed in on your nut-job ideology for the bunkum it is. Good luck to the folk who follow you down this road. Fortunately there's plenty of real estate between you and me in addition to the chasm of our disagreement.
As to my profession, we will keep that a secret for the moment but let's just say that I know which end of the screwdriver goes in the slot.

And John, this IS my civil. Zero respect for Ricardo tho.

Hi Guys.

It's what we live for
:
:
:
:
OK, excepting, of course, Post Count Rick's.

I as well as many would like to see the results of Bracker's build and some real world performance numbers!
It's gonna perform pretty much exactly as it did before he sinks all this time and money into it. The only way the boat will gain more than a couple knots top speed is with either a larger engine or a massive junk-ectomy of the hull to reduce weight. Maybe carry less fuel and water? That stuff's heavy! While he doesn't say so, the implication is that the drive gear (the V-drive and transmission) will stay, along with the prop. Perhaps he will use some of his millions to go to a professional prop tuner and see if another knot or two top end can be winkled out of the wheel, but still, no huge seat-of-the-pants improvement.

Jon Allen

I would not be "thrilled" by this build knowing that after dropping $5K-plus I was no better off than if I had done nothing, but hey that's boating, right?

Hi Guys.

I am also.

Me too, Jon... it's uncalled for.

Don't recall reading anywhere that this motor was to be built on a budget.
Nor do I.

Clearly Bracker has the funds to put something together that we can all learn from.
Yes ... it would certainly appear to be that way.

The thrill is in the build. Much like fishing for some of us. I figure the cost of keeping and maintaining my boat vs the amount of fish I caught last year made for some very expensive fish! I easily could have gone to the fish market....

Jon, that what a few are missing here.
They don't quite understand that we are able to freely post our opinions and suggestions here, and should be able to do so without repercussions in the form of childish, rude and disruptive behavior.

Jon, I have seen the results, and that is why I am so passionate about this type of build.
Those who Foo Foo it have most likely never participated in one, yet they somehow feel experienced and educated enough to do so.

Jon Allen

Rick, I admit that I had respect for your opinion, until I didn't. It's because I did the research, invested time to read all the documentation that you quoted or linked, asked engine rebuilders what they thought, along with professional marine mechanics and engineers that I know including at least two marine inspectors and one marine architect.
So I'm not coming after you because I'm not experienced or educated enough (as you feel you are, by implication) but through good old fashioned legwork.

Oh and yeh I turn a wrench or two now and again.

I guess it's like politics. You have your own beliefs and I have mine. You keyboard engineer all day long while contributing nothing more than a few poached infographics. I defy your input as irrelevant, based on automotive and not marine research, misleading and needlessly confusing.

I actually enjoy reading your posts; the level of ridiculousness is immeasurably amusing in your elementary patois. Keep on! But understand that people like me, Chris, Ghost and others will be all over you like pigeons on popcorn with anti-propaganda.

Rick, I admit that I had respect for your opinion, until I didn't. It's because I did the research,
In my opinion, your alleged research has not been thorough.

invested time to read all the documentation that you quoted or linked,
Perhaps read it again, and perhaps more thoroughly.

asked engine rebuilders what they thought,
Most engine re-builders love the idea of the GM Full Dished piston because they are inexpensive, one p/n fits all bores and they can have Jimbob install the rods onto the pistons while he's drinking a few cocktails or smoking a joint.

along with professional marine mechanics and engineers that I know
I would love to read any articles that they have written pertaining to this.

including at least two marine inspectors and one marine architect.
Same as above.....

So I'm not coming after you because I'm not experienced or educated enough (as you feel you are, by implication) but through good old fashioned legwork.
As am I also coming from a standpoint of years of experience that's supported by people like Jeff Smith, Larry Carley, Keith Black, Dennis Moore, John Erb, Vic McCrosky (deceased), Bill Jenkins (deceased), etc.
These are Big Boys in the industry, and they certainly know much more about the SBC than I do.

Oh and yeh I turn a wrench or two now and again.
Do you feel that an occasional wrench turn gives you the background that would be necessary to adequately discuss this with with a Nay-Sayer attitude?
I'm asking seriously.

I guess it's like politics. You have your own beliefs and I have mine.
Yes, that may be true.

You keyboard engineer all day long while contributing nothing more than a few poached infographics.
In your opinion!
However, it is very obvious that you have an agenda that invokes your flavor of debunking my contributions!
You even found the need to track me down here in Bracker's thread, and in a forum section that you seldom visit!

I defy your input as irrelevant, based on automotive and not marine research, misleading and needlessly confusing.
Again, read some of the articles written by, and the data provided by Jeff Smith, Larry Carley, Keith Black, Dennis Moore, John Erb, Vic McCrosky, Bill Jenkins, etc.
And yes..... these people are much more involved in the HP Automotive versions than the Marine versions.
You need to know that the Q/E does and will easily apply to the Marine version...... in fact, in particular with the Marine version in order to place the LPCP where it needs to be.

I actually enjoy reading your posts; the level of ridiculousness is immeasurably amusing in your elementary patois.
Interestingly enough, I find the same when I read your posts that are in rebuttal to mine.

Keep on! But understand that people like me, Chris, Ghost and others will be all over you like pigeons on popcorn with anti-propaganda.
I will welcome that if they include real life data that supports their thoughts in that the Q/E build is not a good idea.

Correcting this to the OP's $10,000.00 ballpark figure.
I would love to see how you came to the conclusion of a $10k build.

Here's the bottom line:
Ultimately you are disrespecting Bracker's thread and are debunking his desire to do a SBC Q/E build, and in the 6.3L version.
Read post #1 and read how Bracker starts out.
Read what type of piston profile he had decided upon at that time in his post #1.
Interpret post #1 as though he is asking for input and suggestions as to how to go about doing a Q/E build.

No where do I read that he has asked if the Q/E build is the wrong way to go!

No where do I read that he has asked if a GM Full Dished piston profile would be a better choice!

If you understand what I just pointed out, why then do you feel the need to disrupt, and to continue disrupting his thread?
What is the point?
How will Bracker benefit from your posts?

As I see it, you have NOT provided any real data that supports the idea that the Q/E build is not a good idea.
Please show us why it is not a good idea!

Answer those questions above honestly, and you just might see how you are coming across here!

I'm in Bracker's court, and will support his ideas on this build.

Please remember..... we all have the opportunity to respectfully disagree with one another, and should be doing so in an adult like and polite manner.

This has been yet one more disruption of Bracker's thread....... very sad!

02batsea-Have you read the entire thread? Have you heard of Dennis Moore? Rick’s advice is not uncorroborated. Like I asked awhile back, is this the “Boat Repair Forum” or the “Dealer Referral Forum”?

Bracker said:
........... is this the “Boat Repair Forum” or the “Dealer Referral Forum”?

Bracker, I think that we have forum sub-categories within the forum categories.

We have the "boat repair forum" (that we are all familiar with), then we have the "dealer referral" sub-forum, the "let's argue" sub-forum, and the "let's disrupt this thread" sub-forum.

By the way, (and I believe that I've already mentioned this) the quench effect is nothing new.
The very first GM SBC (1955 265 cu in) was built using a Flat Top piston, of which creates a Q/E.
The Chrysler Wedge Head boys have been using the Q/E for years and years.
It can also apply to the 335 series Ford engines.

It wasn't until the early 70s when GM chose this route (SBC Full Dished pistons) to reduce exhaust gas emissions.
The GM bean counters loved the idea of a 1 p/n piston fits all bores, they are cheap to produce and are easy to install.

By the way #2...... as of this morning, your thread has had 3,074 views.
I would have to say that quite a few people have an interest in what you are doing, or they have an interest in the amusement factor. :D

Any way.... keep up the good work, and please keep us informed as to how it's going.

02batsea-Have you read the entire thread? Have you heard of Dennis Moore? Rick’s advice is not uncorroborated. Like I asked awhile back, is this the “Boat Repair Forum” or the “Dealer Referral Forum”?

In all this you haven't said what hull you're dropping this golden egg into. The thing about marine engines and horsepower is that you never use it unless you are running WFO. Gasoline engines develop their horsepower in the high RPM range, so in order to see it, you have to open it up all the way.
For a boat, which is increasing resistance the faster you push it, you eventually hit the wall which is the engine's ability to further overcome this resistance ( hull shape + cargo + wave action + wind resistance) If you're just taking the wife and kiddos out for an afternoon on the water then this build is overkill. As Dennis Moore says on the top center of his home page: "We sell replacement parts that are an exact copy of the parts originally installed in your boat." For good reason. They work.

Maybe you're building a racing boat? In that case then yes you will want to upgrade the innards of the lump. Or better yet put in something really big like a supercharged 572 assuming your class allows it.

But to come to the forum with questions you clearly already know the answers to...well...that makes you a troll.

Here's the bottom line:
Ultimately you are disrespecting Bracker's thread and are debunking his desire to do a SBC Q/E build, and in the 6.3L version.
Read post #1 and read how Bracker starts out.
Read what type of piston profile he had decided upon at that time in his post #1.
Interpret post #1 as though he is asking for input and suggestions as to how to go about doing a Q/E build.

No where do I read that he has asked if the Q/E build is the wrong way to go!

No where do I read that he has asked if a GM Full Dished piston profile would be a better choice!

If you understand what I just pointed out, why then do you feel the need to disrupt, and to continue disrupting his thread?
What is the point?
How will Bracker benefit from your posts?

As I see it, you have NOT provided any real data that supports the idea that the Q/E build is not a good idea.
Please show us why it is not a good idea!

It's a g

Answer those questions above honestly, and you just might see how you are coming across here!

I'm in Bracker's court, and will support his ideas on this build.

Please remember..... we all have the opportunity to respectfully disagree with one another, and should be doing so in an adult like and polite manner.

This has been yet one more disruption of Bracker's thread....... very sad!

I am devastated that I have made you sad.
I'll flip the script and ask you why you had to jump in when he only asked which intake manifold to use?

Data. How about your own numbers from your personal build? How fast was your boat before and after building the engines you have in it? I assume you have all the parts in there that you profess. What was the top speed gain? Fuel consumption numbers? What did it cost and how long will it take to amortize the expense vs keeping the factory internals? Maybe if you provide your own numbers we (I) would have more faith in your opinions.

The $10K figure is from Bracker, not me.

o2batsea- This thread is an offshoot of my original thread. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?454540-Dart-SHP-SBC
I asked for Rick’s advice there and I pmed him when I started the new thread.
I described the boat in that thread and I posted pictures in page 2 of this thread. I don’t claim to know the answers and I am far from a troll. I’m just seeking resources and advice on building an engine for a resto project. I don’t have pressing time constraints on this project, hence, I’m not looking for the fastest or easiest approach (buying a complete engine from a dealer or remanufacturer). I want to learn how to build an engine.

Last edited:
In all this you haven't said what hull you're dropping this golden egg into. The thing about marine engines and horsepower is that you never use it unless you are running WFO. Gasoline engines develop their horsepower in the high RPM range, so in order to see it, you have to open it up all the way.
Because you do not involve yourself in these builds, you may not realize that the 6.3L build offers an increase in the stroke dimension of .270"?

For a boat, which is increasing resistance the faster you push it, you eventually hit the wall which is the engine's ability to further overcome this resistance ( hull shape + cargo + wave action + wind resistance) If you're just taking the wife and kiddos out for an afternoon on the water then this build is overkill.
Assumptions and conjecture.
Why even mention that?

As Dennis Moore says on the top center of his home page: "We sell replacement parts that are an exact copy of the parts originally installed in your boat." For good reason. They work.
Apparently you have not read anything published by Dennis pertaining to building a Marine SBC.

Maybe you're building a racing boat?
Again.... assumption and conjecture!
Why even mention that?

But to come to the forum with questions you clearly already know the answers to...well... that makes you a troll.
Wow, not only do you chime into Bracker's thread to "Disrupt" and "Interrupt" the flow, now you are calling him names!

I am devastated that I have made you sad.
You missed the point.
You have not made me sad!
My comment pertained to YOUR disruption of Bracker's thread, of which is sad!
Perhaps put your eye glasses on and better comprehend what you've READ!

I'll flip the script and ask you why you had to jump in when he only asked which intake manifold to use?
Again, you have not been comprehending.

Data. How about your own numbers from your personal build? How fast was your boat before and after building the engines you have in it? I assume you have all the parts in there that you profess. What was the top speed gain? Fuel consumption numbers? What did it cost and how long will it take to amortize the expense vs keeping the factory internals?
I do not see anywhere in Bracker's thread where he shows a concern for this.
Perhaps you do, but this is Bracker's thread.
Maybe if you provide your own numbers we (I) would have more faith in your opinions.
Your faith in me is of no concern to me. You have clearly shown who you are, and not only in this thread!

The $10K figure is from Bracker, not me.

o2batsea- This thread is an offshoot of my original thread. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?454540-Dart-SHP-SBC
I asked for Rick’s advice there and I pmed when I started the new thread.
Bracker, I believe that you are wasting your time on him.
I think that it's obvious that his agenda is to disrupt and interrupt the flow of these threads.

I described the boat in that thread and I posted pictures in page 2 of this thread. I don’t claim to know the answers and I am far from a troll.
When I get involved in a thread, I put my eye glasses on and I read all of the words.
Not once did I think that you were trolling here.

I’m just seeking resources and advice on building an engine for a resto project. I don’t have pressing time constraints on this project, hence, I’m not looking for the fastest or easiest approach (buying a complete engine from a dealer or remanufacturer). I want to learn how to build an engine.
Yes, and that is exactly how I interpreted your thread!

Now, in the past O2bat has alluded to "who gets the last word", and he has done so several times.
He is also envious of what he calls "High Post Counts", and has alluded to that many times.

Bracker, if you click on a user name, you are given an option to view that member's previous posts.
Please do so for O2bat, and you will see that his typical MO is not much different from how it is here in your thread.
Not much more than disruptions, interruptions, combative comments and so on, of which there is no call for.

Let's keep the flow going without interruptions and disruptions.
Ask your questions, give us your updates, etc etc and so on.

And by the way...... as of right now, this thread has been viewed 3,408 times.
I'm sure that many of those views have been by people who have an interest in what you are doing.
I'm also sure that a fair amount of those views are for entertainment purposes only, thanks to the disruptive members.

Last edited:
And by the way...... as of right now, this thread has been viewed 3,408 times.
That's just you re reading and editing your posts to come up with zinger retorts to my responses. I'm not able to access the site's metrics but actual real eyeballs prolly like ten.

I'm sure that many of those views have been by people who have an interest in what you are doing.
Again, they're all just you throwing hate on me.

I'm also sure that a fair amount of those views are for entertainment purposes only, thanks to the disruptive members.
Triple dittos! and thanks for the upvote!

Data. How about your own numbers from your personal build? How fast was your boat before and after building the engines you have in it? I assume you have all the parts in there that you profess. What was the top speed gain? Fuel consumption numbers? What did it cost and how long will it take to amortize the expense vs keeping the factory internals?
I do not see anywhere in Bracker's thread where he shows a concern for this.
Perhaps you do, but this is Bracker's thread.
Maybe if you provide your own numbers we (I) would have more faith in your opinions.
Your faith in me is of no concern to me. You have clearly shown who you are, and not only in this thread!

Wow you dodged that faster than a politician in an election campaign! Impressed.

Last edited:
So today was a good news, bad news day. I received the new torque wrench I ordered but I also discovered my connecting rods fell victim to the mini-flood we had about a month ago while I was still away at work. We got water an inch or inch and a half deep in the garage and they were the only box that my wife missed that was in contact with the floor. I talked to Keener’s Engine Machine in West Palm and they think they can clean the rods up so I wiped them dry and left them out in the sun to dry them out and I’m taking them to Keener’s Monday morning.
E3EE4611-BE0A-4624-ADDA-B083032842CB.jpeg
E9972478-EEF0-4C8A-B4A4-DB01BAA0EE2A.jpeg
DC0FAD5C-BADF-4AB2-A261-C8E566605A11.jpeg

Yeah, it’s just surface rust. I’ll see what the machine shop thinks after they go over them tomorrow. I needed to start building a report with a local machine shop anyway.

What's the latest? Anything to report?

Hi Rick

Sorry, not a lot to report! My machinist didn’t like the look of the damage on the rods so I’ll have to get a new set. I just started a business so I’ve decided to shelve the boat restoration project for a bit. Don’t worry, I will complete it though! I have too much invested in it, not to!;) Thanks for checking in on me, I hope you’re doing well. You’ll be the first to hear when I resume work on it!-Gentry

Back